Sunday, June 21, 2020

House of Jasmine 八月居 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

Today is one of those rare days every year where I have no say on where to eat. Happy Father's Day. Jelloman is footing the bill this afternoon so I guess I just have to live with whatever place she picks for me and her dad. Turns out, that place is House of Jasmine (八月居) at Harbour City.


I have never really been a fan of this place cuz for one, the service always sucks. Let's see if they have turned things around now amidst COVID-19.



Drunken pigeon (花雕醉乳鴿) ($148) - This was a pretty nice start. The Hua Diao wine marinated pigeon was really nice and tender.


Chilled pork tripe, scallion oil (蔥油手撈豬肚) ($78) - The roller coaster ride started right about here. The crunchy pork tripe was really bland. Scallion oil? What scallion oil?


Baked South African abalone tart, chicken, mushroom (一口南非鮑魚撻) ($58 for two) - I have to admit, this was fairly tasty. And two pieces for $58 only.


The tart was nice and buttery; and not to be outdone was the South African abalone which was tender and full of flavors (thanks to the rich abalone sauce).


Bean curd sheet roll in fish soup, cordyceps flower (蟲草花魚湯鮮竹卷) ($45) - The color of the bean curd sheet not looking great at all. Meh...


Shrimp spring roll, foie gras, crab roes (鵝肝蟹籽脆春卷) ($48) - This was reasonably good. The crispy spring roll was stuffed with shrimps. Could have had a little more foie gras in there.


Shrimp rice roll, chives (韭黃鮮蝦腸粉) ($45) - Decent.


Pork and shrimp dumplings, morels and asparagus (羊肚菌露筍燒賣) ($41) - I love morels but that's about all there is to this dish. The pork and shrimp dumpling was forgettable.


Steamed sponge cake (古法馬拉糕) ($37) - Arguably the worst dim sum of the afternoon. There was a strong savory flavor in the mix which I thought was Indian almonds (欖仁). It was way over the top for me (Others thought okay). 


And guess what, Jelloman had a cake prepared for the occasion just for the two dads. It's an Ironman cake. I think I know who exactly is behind this. Little nugget! 


Red velvety cake with mixed fruits. This wasn't bad at all. In fact, it tasted much better than it looked.


As usual, service was very spotty around here (which was why I vowed not to come back in my lifetime but Jelloman made me eat my words this afternoon). When we finished all our dishes, we repeatedly reminded the service team that we still have a cake in their fridge. But no one dares to clear the table for the cake to arrive. As a matter of fact, no one followed up on bringing the cake out at all; all despite we talked to three different waiters and waitresses on separate occasions. Of course, I was fuming and that got my blood pressure high more than a few times. So yeah, this would be the last time I ever come here for a meal. I think Jelloman knows by now how much I hate coming to this place.

P.S. My apologies for the poor quality of the photos. My iPhone X let me know again under the crappy lighting and to add insult to injuries, there wasn't enough room on our small table to place our dishes in an artistic or instagrammable manner.




Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 401, 4/F, Ocean Centre, Harbour City, 3-27 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2992-0232
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 3:00pm (Mon - Fri)/ 11:00am - 3:00pm (Sat - Sun), 6:00pm - 11:00pm (Mon - Sun)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think