Sunday, November 18, 2018

Imperial Treasure Fine Chinese Cuisine 御寶軒 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Mom has been on the injury reserve since last October which saw her miss out on our Hokkaido trip all together. She has finally returned to full health this week so I decided to take her out for dim sum over the weekend.

Michelin starred Imperial Treasure Fine Chinese Cuisine (御寶軒) has drawn mixed reviews from us during our previous visit. While we all concurred that the food quality was pretty good (so is the price line), their service left a lot to be desired. But I was hoping it was just an isolated incident from one particular waitress that requires more training.



Steamed shrimp dumplings (笋尖鮮蝦餃) ($45) - This was pretty nice. Bite-sized with lots of shrimps packed in the middle.



Steamed pork dumplings (香菇燒賣皇) ($42) - Also pretty nice. The mushrooms were fairly aromatic.



Steamed rice rolls with BBQ pork (叉燒蒸腸粉) ($48) - I really like their steamed rice rolls and sweet soy but the diced BBQ pork was more on the hard side.



Steamed diced mushroom dumplings (什菌如意餃) ($38) - Decent but I could easily name a dozen places with a better mushroom dumpling.



Baked BBQ pork pastry (蜜汁叉燒酥) ($42) - The puff pastry was very buttery and flaky. The sauce was more on the sweet side but I could live with that. Not bad.



Baked chicken and mushroom pastry (磨菇雞粒酥) ($42) - This one I had a little trouble figuring out. After a relatively tasty baked BBQ pork pastry, I was expecting more or less the same thing here but with a different filling (diced chicken and mushroom). But this pastry was way too thick and not nearly flaky enough. On top of that, I thought there was too much starch in the middle for my liking. Definitely could do without this one.



Pan-fried turnip cake (臘味蘿蔔糕) ($38) - Very crispy on the outside. Pretty good, especially after dipping into the chili sauce.



Barbecue pork with honey sauce (金牌蜜汁叉燒) ($168) - I missed out on their famous char siu last time I was here because of a stupid mistake by our rude server (And they won't even admit to this mistake!). So, I had to make sure that it's on our agenda this afternoon.

This was a little disappointing though. I had high hopes coming in but it's too lean for me. And I thought the flavors were overshadowed too much by the honey sauce.



Fried rice with chicken in tomato sauce and prawn in cream sauce (鴛鴦燴炒飯) ($168) - Their "wok" kitchen does two things really well here, their fried rice and Penang-style wok-fried thick noodles. I went with this one simply because my little nugget loves his red and white fried rice. Pretty tasty.



We didn't get to try some of their signature dishes including the suckling pig with glutinous rice so I didn't have enough information to judge whether their Michelin star was well deserved. However, judging by what we had this afternoon, only the har gow (蝦餃), siu mai (燒賣) and fried rice managed to receive good grades from us which said a lot about their lofty credentials. But then, at least we didn't burn a hole in our wallet like we usually do at some of these Michelin starred Chinese restaurants.


Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: 10/F, 1 Peking Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2613-9800


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think