Friday, September 10, 2021

Roganic (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I love the elevated farm-to-table dining at Roganic so much that I decided to come back again for another meal. This time, I have a different partner in crime with me. 娜姐 is someone who has taught me a great deal of things over the years and I am very lucky to have someone like her to look up to. She has obviously helped me a lot so it's time for me to return the favor - I'll help her gain a few calories this afternoon 😜. 

British farm-to-table dining Michelin starred Roganic Causeway Bay Hong Kong

Not surprisingly, the modern British restaurant was again fully booked for lunch today. 

British farm-to-table dining Michelin starred Roganic Causeway Bay Hong Kong

I decided to take my usual spot in the dining room, a sofa seat at the quiet corner so we could have some private chats. Since we were both not super hungry today, we opted for the executive business lunch menu instead of the tasting menu.

British farm-to-table dining Michelin starred Roganic Causeway Bay Hong Kong

The amuse bouche today was fresh local peas in a seaweed tartlet. 

British farm-to-table dining Michelin starred Roganic Causeway Bay Hong Kong - peas in a seaweed tartlet

Marjoram brined cabbage, soy and miso glazed shimeji, wasabi – No, this wasn't the same picture I took from my last meal here.

British farm-to-table dining Michelin starred Roganic Causeway Bay Hong Kong - Marjoram brined cabbage, soy and miso glazed shimeji, wasabi

I like their cabbage dish so much that I immediately went for an encore. Again, there was the wonderful interplay of flavors, sharp intensity, creaminess, spiciness and acidity. It was nice to have it again after four months.

British farm-to-table dining Michelin starred Roganic Causeway Bay Hong Kong - Marjoram brined cabbage, soy and miso glazed shimeji, wasabi

Their spongy soda bread was again very tasty. What made it so damn good was of course the cultured brown butter which I, unfortunately, forgot to include in the photo.

British farm-to-table dining Michelin starred Roganic Causeway Bay Hong Kong - Soda bread, brown butter

Red bream, leek and potato cooked over coal, lovage, sour cream – I thought I might get the poached bream with mussel mousse again but it was a different interpretation of it using more or less the same ingredients. The red bream was cooked over coal this time bringing some lovely smoky flavors to the mix. It was complemented nicely by the rich and perfectly balanced sauce made of lovage oil and sour cream.

British farm-to-table dining Michelin starred Roganic Causeway Bay Hong Kong - Red bream, leek and potato cooked over coal, lovage, sour cream

Te mana lamb, celtuce, chard and mint – My guest had the grilled lamb with celtuce, chard and mint, and it looked like a very good choice to me.

British farm-to-table dining Michelin starred Roganic Causeway Bay Hong Kong - Te mana lamb, celtuce, chard and mint

Black tea custard tart with condensed milk ice-cream – This was a no-brainer for me as I'm a huge milk tea fan. A sort-of deconstructed version of milk tea, served with a black tea custard tart and a scoop of condensed milk ice-cream.

I thought the black tea custard tart was really nice. The very soft and silky custard was topped with a slightly caramelized surface, which was quite thoughtful but the condensed milk ice-cream could use a bit more work. Did the experience remind me of having milk tea? Well, if that was what they set out to do, I am afraid it didn't register. 

British farm-to-table dining Michelin starred Roganic Causeway Bay Hong Kong - Black tea custard tart with condensed milk ice-cream

We had a wonderful wonderful time catching up this afternoon and apart from work, I also got a lot of amazing advice on parenting. Now, it's time to put these theories into actual practice with little nugget, starting tonight.






Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 8, UG/F, Sino Plaza, 255 Gloucester Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Causeway Bay
Tel: +852 2817-8383
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 6:00pm - 10:30pm (Tue - Sun)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think