Monday, September 27, 2021

I-O-N Café Bistro at Central Market (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I didn't get the chance to visit the revitalized Central Market (中環街市) when it soft-opened in late August following its three-year renovation and preservation work. The site is now home to many local lifestyle brands, bars and restaurants, and boutique shops. So while I was in Central tonight, I thought I should pay this heritage spot a much anticipated visit.  


One of the two grand staircases at either side of the structure, one of the hot spots for bloggers and casual visitors alike.


There was a couple of these balconies in the building with the night scene of Central.


A number of eateries and bars caught my eyes almost instantly, but none more than the sushi bar by Wako. But I wasn't craving for sushi tonight so I will leave it for another day. 



I was looking for something casual and I-O-N Café Bistro fits the bill perfectly.

I-O-N Café Bistro at Central Market (中環街市) East-meets-west menu coffee shop

Like many restaurants, bars and shops around here, I-O-N is operated by Nina Hospitality, the F&B business arm of the Chinachem group who is jointly managing this revitalization project with the Urban Renewal Authority.

I-O-N Café Bistro at Central Market (中環街市) East-meets-west menu coffee shop

There were some really interesting East-meets-west dishes in I-O-N's food menu including typhoon shelter's fish and chips, and Tai O Caesar salad among others.

I-O-N Café Bistro at Central Market (中環街市) East-meets-west menu coffee shop

But I was less adventurous than my usual self tonight. I opted to start my meal with a simple quinoa salad served with cherry tomatoes, avocado and okra. 

I-O-N Café Bistro at Central Market (中環街市) - Quinoa salad, cherry tomatoes, avocado, okra

My main dish was spring chicken roasted with honey mustard. It came with even more seasonal vegetables including a variety of cauliflower, beetroot, carrot and mashed potatoes. The chicken was really tender and flavorful. Not bad. 

I-O-N Café Bistro at Central Market (中環街市) - spring chicken roasted with honey mustard

I really enjoyed the vibe of Central Market as a whole. In fact, I'm already planning a return visit and by the time, I will definitely bring Jelloman and little nugget along with me.





Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 124-125, 1/F, Central Market, 93 Queen's Road Central, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central / Hong Kong Station
Tel: +852 9141-5863
Opening Hours: 7:30am - 10:00pm (Mon - Thu), 7:30am - 12:00am (Fri), 9:00am - 12:00am (Sat - Sun)


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think