Saturday, September 11, 2021

Choi Kee Restaurant 財記茶餐廳 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I'm back in Mong Kok, the local food haven again thanks to my morning session with my physio. It wasn't the first time I passed by Choi Kee Restaurant (財記茶餐廳) which is just a stone's throw from my physio's office but it was one of the few times that the restaurant wasn't packed with diners. So, I decided to come in for my late lunch.


It wasn't hard to find a space at the corner this late. 


My first impression was a very good one thanks to this iced milk tea which was as smooth as silk stocking with lots of milk to back up the tea flavors. 


Many modern cha chaan tengs infamously call themselves cafes (冰室) these days but they are only as good as their instant noodles. Choi Kee, on the other hand, is your typical old-school jack-of-all-trade restaurant with a super long food menu. 


Xiamen Fried Rice Noodles (廈門炒米粉) – Like our famous Singapore fried noodles (星洲炒米), I don't think there's this type of fried rice noodles in Xiamen. It's been a while since I last had one of these.

What I always love about Xiamen fried rice noodles was the abundance of ingredients and they have got it all here, from shrimps, ham, barbecued pork to scrambled eggs, green peppers, leeks and preserved sweet and sour vegetables. The fried rice noodles was seriously good and full of wok hei (鑊氣). And surprisingly, there's not much seasoning except for the sweetness and acidity from the preserved vegetables. I consider that a plus since most cha chaan teng food tends to come with very heavy seasoning!  







Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$
Address: Shop 4-5, G/F, Kwong Fai Building, 3-13 Kwong Wa Street, Mongkok, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Mongkok
Tel: +852 2152-0452
Opening Hours: 7:00am - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think