Thursday, March 18, 2021

The Pawn (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I am back to The Pawn for a quick British meal before my meeting this afternoon. It’s been a while since my last visit so I wasn’t sure what to expect. But what a sigh of relief when I saw a dining room full of satisfied diners!


From what I’ve read, The Pawn is no longer tied to Chef Tom Aikens but their cuisine remains very modern British (or European) with a slight touch of Asian.



My starter was potato soup infused with curry. It was served with a dab of potato purée and a crispy tuile. I have never had curried potato soup before so it was definitely a breathe of fresh air. 

Didn’t expect potato and curry working so well together.



My main dish was a well decorated seafood risotto, with tomato, baby cucumber and basil.


This wasn’t bad. Thought the squid meshed really well with the tomato risotto but the catfish, to a much lesser extent.



My lunch was finally completed thanks to a very small dessert, sliced of poached pear served with mascarpone ice cream, almond crisp and pear gel. A nice exclamation point.


As usual, the portion was a little small but all three dishes did enough to keep my stomach happy. Mission accomplished.




Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: 2/F, 62 Johnston Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2866-3444
Website: www.thepawn.com.hk
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 1:00am (Mon - Sat), 11:30am - 1:00am (Sun)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think