Friday, March 12, 2021

Sai Sons The ONE 醒辰冰室 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

One of the food trends I began noticing from the start of the pandemic was the rise of more and more casual eateries. Modern tea restaurants (冰室) are opening everywhere left and right. Even The One, the upscale shopping mall in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui is getting one - Sai Sons The ONE (醒辰冰室).

I wasn't planning to meet up with anyone for supper after getting my haircut done tonight but Jelloman rang me after she met up with a friend in TST. Turns out I just finished my haircut. So, we decided to grab dinner together and both of us wanted something "Sai Sons" (醒神) (or literally meaning brighten up in Chinese!). Look like Sai Sons Cafe at The One (醒辰冰室) matched the theme perfectly.


Kicking things off was a small salad, with butter toast and tomato soup.


Fried fish fillet Japanese curry rice (日式咖哩炸魚柳飯) - Japanese-style curry at a Chinese tea restaurant, why not? This was just OK as Jelloman put it. I think she said nothing to write home about.


Sai Sons fried rice with tomato sauce (醒辰西炒飯) - I was in the mood for some sizzling hot fried rice. This wasn't bad, tossed with tomato sauce and goodies like diced barbecued pork, sausage etc. It didn't have the wok hei from a typical local cha chaan tien, nor the temperature (just lukewarm I am afraid) but I like the Japanese presentation with the scrambled egg and ketchup on top.


Service was surprisingly good for a tea restaurant. It doesn't have the finger in the tea or yellin at the top of the lung from any of the servers. I certainly won't mind paying a bit extra for the premium location.   




Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop L121, 1/F, The ONE, 100 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2633-2526
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 9:30pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think