Saturday, March 24, 2018

Dang OK Japanese Style Sweets (Seoul, SOUTH KOREA) ★★★☆☆

Right before I took off to Seoul, I was tipped off on this new Japanese sweets shop called Dang OK in Sinsa by my Korean blogger friend, kosmose7.



The owner of this little Japanese sweets shop has spent time in Japan working in kitchens like Nihonryori RyuGin so I was expecting something really innovative.



There were three types of Japanese desserts served at Dang OK at the moment. These desserts included their homemade Japanese pudding (different flavors), Japanese style tart (only strawberry one available when I visited) and a type of bite-sized cheesecake they call "wacake".



Their wacakes come in around ten different flavors. Despite not being a fan of cheesecake, I decided to check out a trio of them.

Plain cheesecake (lower left corner, 2900 won) - Surprisingly all these wacakes didn't carry strong cheese flavors, instead they're more on the milky side. This was very light and soft, which was just perfect for me. Those who love cheesy ones (think American style cheesecake) would likely think otherwise.  

Cheesecake topped with yuzu, red bean filling (upper left corner, 2900 won) - Pretty much the same texture but came with some nice acidity from the yuzu. I like the red bean filling for the different texture (taste a little like a mochi) and the extra sweetness to complement the cheesiness and acidity.

Matcha cheesecake with red bean paste (upper right corner, 3400 won) - Again similar texture but matcha flavored with a bit of red bean paste. The tried and true partnership of matcha and red bean never failed to impress!

Coffee pudding (lower right corner) - Complimentary from the owner, this was also very nice but I would trade it for another piece of wacake anytime.



I enjoyed all these Japanese style sweets in their tea room while having a cup of warm tea in my hand.



After stops at UNAS, Mr. Holmes Bakehouse and now Dang OK, I was really stuffed so no more dessert between now and dinner at Dosa.




Food Rating: 5/10
Price: ₩₩
Address: 521-5 Sinsa-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea
Closest Metro Station: Sinsa
Tel: +82 02-3443-1227


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think