Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Hei House 囍碟 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I got a lot of catching up to do with all the new restaurants in the revamped Lee Tung Avenue and since I am crazy about Singaporean food, I thought I should start by checking out Hei House (囍碟), a quirky South East Asian tapas and tropical bar. Despite their relatively short existence, Hei House has already built a good reputation with their modern take on South East Asian cuisine. Their signature dishes like pandan leaves chicken, "explosive" prawn balls with crab roes and cheese and bak-kut knuckles are drawing raving reviews from multiple sources.



Well, time is our biggest enemy on this day with our project meeting starting in less than an hour. So there will be no pandan leaves chicken for us this afternoon, just something fast and furious from the standard lunch menu I am afraid.

The good thing is, the set menu comes with a complimentary fruit punch. Of course, I would have been much happier if it's a complimentary Teh tarik or Malaysian pull tea (拉茶).



I had my eyes on their char kway teow (炒貴刁) the whole way. This came with something like an XO sauce on the side.



The stir-fried rice noodles were pretty good but I thought the seasoning was a little one-dimensional (spicy). Like any good char kway teow (like the ones at Satay Inn or Sabah), it should come with a bit of sweetness (at least from the Chinese preserved sausages).



Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop G31 & F31A, Lee Tung Avenue, 200 Queen's Road East, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 3974-5868
Website: www.heihouse.com.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think