Thursday, September 22, 2016

Warren (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

For the first time in a long long while, I got to rest my brain while someone else decides where to have our dinner gathering. All I need to do is to show up at the right time. That's so nice. Perhaps I should let someone else decide more often.

To be brutally honest, I don't really know Tai Hang all that well, despite it's just in the backyard of Causeway Bay. Neither do I know much about our dinner venue, Warren. All I knew was that, it's a brand new French bistro on the ground floor of The Warren (a residential building presumably).

Turns out Warren wasn't the easiest place to find (even with Google Map) but when I did finally locate this little 15-seater, I was pleasantly surprised with its cozy ambiance which was a little tough to find outside Soho.



We started things off with some homemade bread first.



It was served with some homemade truffle butter. The butter was very aromatic. Not bad.



Between the three appetizers from the set menu, I picked the pan-seared foie gras with mango chutney (tasted a bit like apricot) and port wine sauce. This was nicely done with a little bit of balsamic vinegar and crumbs for the finishing touch.



Next up was French onion soup. I have always been very picky about onion soup but this one surprised me with its sweetness. A quick chat with the restaurant manager revealed that it was the additional chicken stock that has provided the extra sweetness. Very nice.



My main course was salmon confit, supposingly a signature dish here. This turned out to be a fabulous choice for me. The "melt-in-your-mouth" salmon worked wonderfully well with white wine cream sauce and I love the daikon on the side. Very sweet and juicy!



Warren has to be one of the pleasant surprises in 2016 so far. I will definitely try to come back another time to take on their Hokkaido scallops carpaccio and Spanish pork belly. 

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$
Address: Shop 1, G/F, The Warren, 9 Warren Street, Tai Hang, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Causeway Bay / Tin Hau
Tel: +852 2392-5121


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think