Thursday, September 22, 2016

The Continental (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

In early August, I was there when chef Joey Sergentakis started taking over the reigns at The Continental for the first time. The new food menu looked pretty encouraging at the time and a second visit was already in my plans. I just didn't envision it happening as soon as next month.  



This time, I'm bringing someone with spoiled taste buds (mom) with me.



After some really good focaccia, lunch formally started with a trio of Spanish octopus that was served with braised lentils and a hazelnut romesco sauce. Everything seemed to be on the right track but I thought the fried octopus (or confit) was a little on the hard side for me.



I like our second starter a lot more. This is a beautifully prepared langoustine on a bed of
squid ink risotto finishing with some lemon zest on top. The langoustine was well-seasoned and had that nice bouncy texture working well with the slightly gluey squid ink risotto.



That was followed by the first main dish, applewood smoked cornish game hen (just thigh and leg) with corn purée, bacon fricassée and chipotle glaze. This was just OK.



More successful was the Icelandic cod fish, slow-cooked and served with Vongole clams, chorizo, cherry tomatoes, cranberry beans and piperade. The piperade was a welcome addition to the dish providing something soupy and flavorful in the mix.



With chef Sergentakis' Greek background, it came with little surprise that we had something Greek for dessert. The Galaktoboureko, or Greek custard pie with crispy phyllo and candied orange was decent but on this day, I was looking for something a little more sweet.



It's been an up-and-down day from the kitchen. Perhaps it's just me but I found the dishes from the a la carte menu (langoustine and cod fish) quite a bit better than those from the set menu. But why the inconsistency!?

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Unit 406, L4, Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Admiralty
Tel: +852 2704-5211 
Website: www.thecontinentalhongkong.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think