Tuesday, September 6, 2016

The Pawn (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

After trying to eat healthy for about a week, I'm back to my old tricks again this afternoon. It's one of my favorite restaurants in Wanchai, The Pawn, getting the call. 



I must confess, I wasn't all that serious about eating healthy in the first place but after spending 2 weeks in France eating and drinking non-stop, I had to do something to feel a little less guilty.




I'm picking burrata and tomato as my starter today. As a fan of Chef Aikens' cutting-edge cuisine, I'm pretty sure this is not just a simple tomato salad with burrata (I hope). And thankfully, I was right about this. The burrata was perfect like it was supposed to be. Creamy and a little foamy inside the "bag". It was nicely complemented by a chilled tomato consommé, some cherry tomatoes, watercress, courgette, purple onion and black olive. 

I love the stark contrast between the flavors of each ingredient. That was an excellent dish.



Little that I know, the wheels were about to fall off for my main dish -  fried duck breast with snow bean, beetroot and pear in a port wine berry sauce. Well, I did appreciate their effort in plating this dish beautifully but the duck breast didn't taste very good at all (both its flavor and texture) and I thought the pickled beetroot had way too much acidity, which ended up over-shadowing the sweetness of the duck breast.



I was in a bit of a foul mood after my main course so instead of getting dessert, I decided to ask for the bill.

For the second straight time, I'm seeing a drop-off in this kitchen's performance after a very impressive debut last year. That coupled with the usually cold service, I'm starting to have doubts about this place.

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: 62 Johnston Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2866-3444
Website: www.thepawn.com.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think