Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Operetta (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Operetta is a new modern Italian eatery recently opened on the first floor of the Pacific Place taking up the space previously occupied by Dan Ryan. 



What really caught my eyes about Operetta in the first place is the name of their culinary director, chef Mitsuru Konishi, formerly of 2-star Michelin restaurant Wagyu Takumi which is one of my favorite restaurants in the city. This time, he's teaming up with chef Fabio Sgrò to offer some of the best Italian comfort food including pizza, pasta, charcoal grilled meats and pastries.



I like the fact that they're open at 11:30am which is perfect for someone like me who don't believe in having a big breakfast.



Some bread to start me off while I wait for my appetizer.



From the décor, I thought this is going to be a fine dining restaurant but they're definitely not kidding when they said casual dining. Just look at my appetizer - deep fried chicken wings with sesame seeds and dried chili.



It was a little difficult working on those three chicken wings on such a small plate with my fork and knife. But somehow I managed to "debone" each and every one of them. This was very tasty. The seasoning was a little on the heavy side but I like it especially with the added flavors from the dried chili.



It was a tough call between their artisanal spaghettini and pan fried cod fish but at the end, I decided to go for something from the sea. This was a similar type of black cod fish I had at CIAK In the Kitchen a while ago. They were serving it with a celery root purée and brown butter sauce which was an excellent choice.



The 2-course set was well priced at $260 ($65 to add a dessert). Not too shabby for an upscale Italian restaurant in the heart of Admiralty. I'm already planning to bring mom here on my next visit.

Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 112, Pacific Place 1/F, 88 Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Admiralty
Tel: +852 2115-8080
Website: www.operetta.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think