Thursday, November 16, 2017

Fumi (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I got an unexpected early release from work today thanks to our training instructor finishing a little before scheduled time. Instead of going to the gym, I decided to check out some early bird deals on Eatigo. Interestingly enough, I was able to find a number of 50%-off deals, including one from Japanese fusion restaurant, Fumi. I remembered coming here about 2 years ago when the place was still called Ore-no Kappou (俺の割烹). A recent change of ownership led to the name change but I was happy to see the food menu remaining largely the same.



I didn't expect the restaurant to be 70% full this early (6:30pm). I'm wondering if everybody is getting the same great deal as mine. 



Sea urchin with chicken consommé jelly and soft tofu skin - It looks like the change of ownership has no domino effects on the food menu at all. At least not yet as everything looks more or less the same since my last visit. Starting things off for me was a small glass of chicken consommé jelly with layers of soft tofu skin nicely topped with sea urchin. A very nice refreshing start.



King tiger prawn tempura - I believe it's my first time trying out the restaurant's tempura and this king tiger prawn tempura was excellent. Perfectly crispy batter and the tiger prawn was so meaty. One of my favorite dish tonight without a question.



Assorted skewers - I decided to sample a few of their skewers tonight. A bit of mixed results from these as I really liked the ox tongue and sweet potato but the Miyazaki sausage and Japanese small onion were just OK.



Grilled foie gras marinated with Saikyo miso and green tea wine sauce - Next up was grilled foie gras which the chefs had marinated with Saikyo miso. This was very very nice. I like the way they complement the richness of the foie gras with the earthy flavors of green tea and sweetness of Saikyo miso. A bit of apple slaw and apple purée helped to offset the rich flavors from the dish.



Grilled Miyazaki sirloin in Sukiyaki sauce - My main dish was a no-brainer for me as I went with the same grilled Miyazaki beef I had on my last visit though with a totally different interpretation. This one was simmered in a rich and flavorful sukiyaki sauce and served with a Japanese style poached egg as the dipping sauce on the side.



The marbling here was perfect and the sirloin was sooo tender and succulent. I guess with such a well-marbled and tender piece of beef, a simple supporting cast of shittake mushroom, tofu, enoki mushrooms, zucchini and Miyazaki tomato was already more than enough to do the trick.



Miyazaki Jitokko free-range wild chicken, Miyazaki chestnut and steamed Japanese rice in mini-pot - I thought I couldn't pour any more food in but a dish with two of my favorite ingredients (chestnut and chicken) changed my mind.



This was my first experience with Miyazaki Jitokko free-range wild chicken and I thought it tasted a lot like French chicken. It had incredible depth of flavor (and a little gamey) but at the same time, a little more texture. Not bad.



I wish I had more room to fit in their pineapple creme brûlée but I've had a lot of food already. So, I guess I will leave it until next time.

Before I step out of the restaurant, I had a quick chat with my server and he was hinting about a revamped menu on the way. Instead of all the fusion dishes currently on display, they're leaning towards a more authentic Japanese cuisine and dining experience. This is going to be interesting and I'll definitely come back in a few months to check out their new gig.




Food Rating: 6.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: 6/F, California Tower, 30-32 D'Aguilar Street, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Central
Tel: +852 2328-3302



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think