Sunday, October 29, 2017

Andaz Xintiandi Shanghai (Shanghai, CHINA)

For the second half of my trip, I'm staying at Andaz Xintiandi Shanghai, a concept by Hyatt. There were two reasons why I picked this hotel over a handful of newer hotels in the city. For one, it's in the Xintiandi district, one of the trendiest areas around and secondly, yours truly has never stayed in an Andaz hotel before (though always tempted to try). 



It was a short taxi ride from Hotel Indigo and I got here just before noon time. I thought check-in would be relatively quick but as it turned out, there was a summit being held in the area so every hotel in the proximity was under heavy surveillance. Andaz Xintiandi was no different as the front door was temporarily locked with the back door taking over as the main and only entrance. That wasn't all. They even had an X-ray machine (like those at the airport customs) sitting in the middle of the lobby to scan every single person coming into the hotel along with their belongings. Trust me, that's not a very pretty sight.



After a little less than half an hour, I finally got my keys and was excited to check out my room at last.



It was a very spacious room in Shanghai standard. Too bad no view.



I thought the wooden floor, furniture and wall have all seen better days.



Time to check out the bathroom...



A glowing bathroom sink, WOW!



And a glowing bathtub too. That's a little too much. I felt kind of like staying at a love hotel!



I didn't get to check out the lobby lounge and its coffee because it's always super crowded and I've got security guards looking behind my shoulder.



Instead, I did check out Éclair Patisserie on the lobby floor on a number of occasions. They have a really nice selection of French bread and pastries available. If you've time, make sure you try some of their signature eclairs.



Another place I really enjoyed having my breakfast at Hogan by Parkson. They've got an even wider selection of homemade bread and there's a small outdoor patio for you to enjoy them right at the spot. It's just a short stroll from Andaz Xintiandi, and right in the heart of Xintiandi.



True to its contemporary boutique design philosophy, Andaz Xintiandi Shanghai offers an innovative hospitality experience that embraces Shanghai's vibrant urban city spirit. However, like most hotels in China, maintenance has been a serious issue as it already looks like it's ready for a (minor) facelift despite just being recently opened in 2011. That's a sad reality in China's hospitality industry.



Rating: ❤❤❤
Price: ¥¥¥
Address: 88 Songshan Road, 200021 Shanghai, China
Closest Metro Station: Huangpi South Road
Tel: +86 21 2310-1234
Website: www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/china/andaz-xintiandi-shanghai/shaaz


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think