Sunday, September 6, 2020

Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice 天天海南雞飯 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

2020 has been a challenging year for everyone. Not surprisingly, there’s not a lot of celebration going on. Even for birthdays, many friends are trying to keep things simple and low profile. With Jelloman’s birthday coming up soon, I’ve picked a restaurant which has been on my list for the longest time for the occasion but my in-laws were blowing the whistle for an early celebration this weekend.


A lot of places are still on our black list so only a handful of options for Jelloman to choose from and to my surprise, she picked Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice (天天海南雞飯), a place she has been raving about since her first visit.

Tian Tian Wenchang Chicken (天天文昌雞) ($188) – I have been here a couple of times already and quite honestly, I thought their chicken dishes were a little overrated and certainly pretty overpriced. The signature Hainanese chicken was easily the most overpriced dish so I am ordering their Tian Tian Wenchang Chicken instead.

Tian Tian Wenchang Chicken (天天文昌雞)

This was pretty tasty (tender but flavor could be a little richer) and I like the gravy served on the side too, so I could pick how much sauce I wanted to apply to my chicken (if any).

Tian Tian Wenchang Chicken (天天文昌雞)

Tian Tian Roasted Chicken (天天燒雞) (Half $168) – We decided to check out their roasted chicken this time around. Not bad but my palate was telling the Wenchang chicken was still slightly better.

Tian Tian Roasted Chicken (天天燒雞)

Braised pork cartilage and white radish in stone pot (軟骨大根) ($108) – Little nugget is a sucker for white radish so this dish was a no-brainer.

Braised pork cartilage and white radish in stone pot (軟骨大根)

Poached mustard green with daisy (花香菜膽) ($88) – I learn when I grow up that mustard green isn’t really for everyone thanks to its unique bitterness. I guess during the pandemic, everybody pretty much got used to a little bit of “bitterness” in life. Like my old man used to say, we should all embrace bitterness in life and that’s how I’m approaching the pandemic. One day at a time… 

Poached mustard green with daisy (花香菜膽)

 



Food Rating: 5.5/10

Price: $$$
Address: Shop 1050A, 1/F, Elements, 1 Austin Road West, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Kowloon
Tel: +852 3108-2182
Opening Hours: 11:30am - 3:45pm, 5:30pm - 9:45pm daily


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think