Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Harbourside Grill (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★☆☆☆☆

It's been a while since I last met up with Agent-I. My dining buddy has been stuck in GZ throughout the pandemic and it wasn't until recently that she has returned home for her 14-day quarantine. As usual, I went to work immediately on finding a place to eat. We narrowed things down to Hue Dining and Harbourside Grill, and since Agent-I had some expiring coupons to burn, we ended up picking the latter. Little that we knew it would turn out to be a huge mistake.

This place was still Maze Grill by Gordon Ramsay when I was here in January but much have changed over the past few months, with the exception of this harbour view.

I haven't dined out at night for quite some time so I didn't know what to expect on a Monday night (we're the only table?). But to my surprise, it was a very busy Monday night here at Harbourside Grill. In fact, some of the walk-in customers got turned away because the hostess just couldn't fit them in.

We spent some time working our way through the menu. At this point, our server who's an English gentleman (I think) brought over some bread and introduced us to their tomahawk steak ($888 for 2 persons). He indicated that it's one of their best sellers and there were only 2 sets left. But neither Agent-I nor myself wanted the tomahawk so we politely declined the idea and went with our own picks. (For some reason, I could tell from our server's facial expression that he wasn't all that happy about our decision. More on that later.)

Kicking things off for me tonight were pan-seared scallops, served with crispy pork belly, curried cauliflower purée, capers and golden raisins.

This came with its fair share of acidity thanks to the capers and golden raisins, which was a good match for seared scallops. I like the spicy kick from the curried cauliflower too. Spot on and not dominating by any means. And to cap off my very busy dish, there was the savory kick from the crispy pork belly. A pretty nice start surprisingly (but not for long)!



But whatever momentum my starter has built up, was completely destroyed by the aged ribeye steak that followed. This looked pretty decent at first glance but.....

Just way too many tendons and way too chewy for my teeth. This was really as far as I got. Funny thing was, when our server came over to take my plate away, he didn't even blink. If this is a restaurant with properly trained staff, they would have offered me something as a replacement. Perhaps a dish that might bring me back another time. Or at least something like "Oh sorry, you didn't like it!". But not surprisingly nothing like that happened at the end. Agent-I and I simply laughed it off. We joked that our server probably thought I deserved it because we didn't take his advice of ordering the tomahawk!

Needless to say, we didn't order any dessert and went straight for bill.



Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop OTE401, Level 4, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2619-9100
Website: https://www.sandshospitality.com/portfolio/harbourside-grill
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 10:00pm daily


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think