Saturday, September 26, 2020

Sun Tung Lok 新同樂魚翅酒家 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

It’s been a while since I last had a meal at Sun Tung Lok (新同樂魚翅酒家), and finally I decided it was time for our long overdue visit after spotting it’s surprise appearance on Restaurant Week’s Autumn Edition list.

As I have said a few times here before, I do like the Restaurant Week concept (but not always happy with the menus) so I try to participate with at least one booking every time. Mom has been looking forward to this meal since I told her about it weeks ago. Obviously, she has never visited this place before (this one on me) so I could tell she’s pretty excited about it.


I don’t know what to expect from a Chinese fine-dining restaurant during the pandemic. During those miserable SARS days, it would've been a completely empty restaurant but not the case here at all. In fact, I was surprised it’s almost completely full (except this table).


As usual, the meal started with the chef’s dim sum platter (廣東點心薈萃).


Steamed pork dumpling topped with minced Yunnan ham (雲腿茸燒賣皇) - Pretty juicy. Won’t mind a bit more Yunnan ham for more savory kick but not really any complaints from me.


Steamed minced fish dumpling with live shrimp (鮮圍蝦魚蓉白燒賣) - This version of siu mai was made with minced fish (I hate minced fish!) but they sweetened the deal with a sea prawn on top.


Spring roll with bacon and shrimp (煙肉鮮蝦炸春卷) - This was particularly nice after having two siu mai in a roll. The crispy spring roll was perfectly matched with stuffing of bacon and shrimp inside. Love the savory kick from the ham to match the sweetness of the prawns.


Double boiled chicken soup with bamboo pith and conch (竹笙 紅螺頭 燉鮮雞) - I was curious of how their double boiled soup would stack up against my favorite double boiled soup from Tin Lung Heen (天龍軒). The broth was certainly a heart-warming one with subtle flavors of chicken and conch coming through nicely but I was expecting a bit more sweetness there.


Miyazaki pork belly and goose web (宮崎豚肉腩扣鵝掌) - I couldn't offer any comments on the braised goose web as little nugget took it from me right from the start.


But the Miyazaki pork belly was succulent. The abalone sauce was right on the money making both the pork belly and spinach very rich in flavors.


The orange zest was a nice touch too, bringing some lovely acidity and bitterness to offset the richness of the pork.


E-fu noodle with barbecued pork and egg (梅頭叉燒煎蛋蔥苗伊麵) - I'm guessing this is a nod to Stephen Chow's legendary steamed rice with fried egg and char siu (黯然銷魂飯).


Hidden underneath the fried egg was the highly anticipated barbecued pork. The e-fu noodles were working really well with the chicken stock and egg but the barbecued pork was surprising culprit here. I thought a little too rough and chewy for my teeth.


The chef's sweet soup (廚師精品甜湯) - Dessert was a very simple sweet soup with bean curd, sweet corn and gingko (no egg though).


Little guy seems to love this!


He keeps yelling "ho ho mei"~!





Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$$
Address: Shop 401, L4, FoodLoft, Mira Place, 132 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2152-1417
Opening Hours: 11:30am - 3:00pm; 6:00pm - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think