Saturday, July 4, 2020

Dood Bottega Gelateria (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

It's been a while since we last had an ice-cream shop not named Häagen-Dazs opened in one of our mainstream shopping malls. Last time I checked, our Italian friend GROM at IFC didn't work out very well. So, I was a little excited about Dood Bottega Gelateria, a small home grown gelateria recently opened at K11 Musea.

While we were trying to decide what flavor to get, I had a quick chat with the owner and his only employee. Turned out he invested millions on the equipment to make gelato and eventually spent a few months in Italy learning his craft. Sounds like he's pretty serious about it. I hope he gets it right.


One of the things about small gelateria is that they normally don't offer a lot of flavors, Maybe 5 to 6 maximum but such was not the case at Dood Bottega Gelateria. I did a quick count and there were at least 14, 15 different ones out there. I guess you can't survive in Hong Kong just serving 5 to 6 flavors.


After sampling as number of flavors, little nugget finally knew what to get. Surprisingly, he picked a salted caramel which I originally thought would be too heavy for him.


Sea salt caramel and a milk flavor that tasted a bit like vanilla too. $98 for two scoops.


Little nugget obviously enjoyed these very very much. He ended finishing both scoops almost all by himself.


I had a couple of wracks at it and to be brutally honest, I thought the texture was great. It was silky smooth but the flavors were very very light. I knew one or both of the flavors were vegan but I wasn't expecting the flavors to be any different than the normal gelato.





Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$$
Address: Shop B201-23, B2/F, K11 Musea, 18 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: East Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 9699-9924
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 10:00pm daily


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think