Saturday, July 11, 2020

Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice 天天海南雞飯 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

For months, Jelloman has been bugging me for not bringing her and little nugget to Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice (天天海南雞飯). I tried pledging my case telling her that the food just wasn't good enough to warrant a second visit but she wasn't listening. Since we were going to be at Elements Shopping Mall this weekend, I thought I should let her try it out by herself. Turns out the place was fairly full and we had to wait for a good 15-20 minutes.

I was too drawn into my conversation with V last time I was here so I really didn't read too much into their food menu. Now I know this is a "Tian Tian Plus", an upgraded version of Tian Tian Hainanese chicken rice we heard so much about from the social media.

Milk tea with tofu pudding, never had that one before. This wasn't bad but I was more interested in my other dishes. It's almost 2pm so all of us were starving.

Tian Tian Wenchang Chicken (天天文昌雞) ($188) - V and I had the Hainanese chicken where they put the super flavorful gravy on top last time around so I decided to check out their other chicken dish. This was, in my opinion, way better. The gravy was provided separately so it's your choice whether to have the chicken with or without seasoning. For me, less is more!

Braised pork cartilage and white radish in stone pot (軟骨大根) ($108) - Very tender and the red miso sauce was spot on without going over the top.

Pan-fried oyster cake (黃金蠔烙) ($108) - Jelloman's favorite dish and it certainly didn't disappoint. The pancakes were very crispy on the crust but soft and pillowy inside. I wasn't much of a fan of scallion and coriander herb but they were very nice additions to the dish, especially to balance the briny flavors from the baby oysters. 

This was a much better showing than last time. Now, I'm really getting an earful on why I didn't bring everyone here earlier.

Just when we were waiting for our table to be ready, I walked around the mall and saw Monsoon in its soft opening mode. It's celebrity chef Will Meyrick's second venture in Hong Kong. The first was of course his famed Asian eatery in Soho, Mama-san which I heard had recently shuttered. I had dinner there once after visiting its flagship restaurant in Bali many years ago. So, it was good to see the chef back in action in Hong Kong.



Food Rating: 6/10

Price: $$$
Address: Shop 1050A, 1/F, Elements, 1 Austin Road West, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Kowloon
Tel: +852 3108-2182
Opening Hours: 11:30am - 3:45pm, 5:30pm - 9:45pm daily


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think