Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Das Bier German Restaurant (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

I was in unfamiliar territory looking for a place for a quick lunch this afternoon. San Po Kong doesn't really jump out as a gourmet paradise so I knew chances of finding something good were bleak.

We ended up walking into a relatively new German restaurant called Das Bier at Mikiki Shopping Mall. It's been a while since I last had a German meal in Hong Kong so honestly, I didn't know what to expect. While my colleagues all went with grilled chicken ($58), I decided to check out their eisbein pork knuckle ($88), a German-style pickled ham hock that is cured and slightly boiled. Ordering an authentic German dish at a German restaurant was my game plan but that proved to be a very poor decision.

First and foremost, the dish took forever to arrive. There was no bread or soup to start things off so I was left sitting there starved while I patiently waited for my turn (Turns out everybody who ordered this dish in the restaurant was waiting!). That was just brutal! For a tiny little 20-seat restaurant, if the kitchen is not capable of handling 20 orders within a short time span, then I think they've got a problem! 

So, my ham hock finally arrived when my colleagues have already finished lunch and were almost ready to leave. I started taking it apart and mixed it up with the German sauerkraut which was served on the side. After such a long wait, I thought this better tasted really good but sadly, it didn't. 



Food Rating: 3.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G03B, G/F, Mikiki, 638 Prince Edward Road East, San Po Kong, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wong Tai Sin
Tel: +852 2359-3899


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think