Thursday, September 21, 2017

Samsen 泰麵 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Today's quick lunch at Bib n Hops reminded me just how much I missed spicy food these days so right after work, I decided to run over to Samsen (泰麵) to spice things up again.



Samsen, which is one of the few authentic Thai noodle house in the city, has been on my radar for a long time already. I remembered checking this place out on a number of occasions when it first opened last winter but only to turn back when I saw the crowd in front. Tonight was a different story as I managed to arrive 15 minutes before its opening time (at 6:30pm) and guess what, I was fifth in the queue. Not a bad start!



As a solo diner, I just love sitting at the counter tables and watch the chefs work. Of course, it didn't hurt to have owner-chef Adam Cliff on the other side of the counter. He's very animated in his open kitchen and it was really a lot of fun watching him directing traffic behind the scene.



Thai iced milk tea ($38) - There's no way I would start the meal with anything other than a good old Thai iced milk tea in my hand. This was really rich and full of flavors.



Pad thai with tiger prawns ($118) - I was going to have a bowl of fish noodles but that brutal experience last week held me back. On second thoughts, perhaps I should go for their pad thai instead. 

All it took was around 3 to 4 minutes and it's ready to be served. I really like the rice noodles. Very nicely executed with fantastic "wok hei". There were at least 5 to 6 pieces of tiger prawns in there, all with a lovely bouncy texture too.



Thai omelet with crab meat, spring onions and Siracha sauce ($118) - Like the pad thai, this was a little expensive but for a fan of Thai omelet, it was a no-brainer.



Pretty fluffy with a lot of crab meat in the middle. Slightly on the greasy side but let's worry about that after the meal.



It's amazing how much we are willing to pay for authenticity these days. The same authentic Thai street food would have cost just a fraction of what I've paid here tonight ($300), if I was in Thailand. But I was happy to have finally come and experienced what a lot of local foodies have claimed to be one of the best openings in 2016.

Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 68 Stone Nullah Lane, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2234-0001


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think