Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Boat Noodle 泰麵膳 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★☆☆☆☆

After battling jetlag for much of last week, I finally called up my hair stylist yesterday to get him ready for my appointment. Since there were quite a number of new restaurants recently opened in Tsim Sha Tsui during my month-long hiatus, I thought I should check out one of them before getting my haircut.

From all the new kids on the block, Boat Noodle (泰麵膳) sits on the top of the list coz it's been a while since I last had some authentic Thai food. It would also be very nice to get myself re-acquainted with a bowl of boat noodles (or Kuai Teow Ruea), an iconic street food which used to be sold at river canals on a floating boat.



There are 8 different types of boat noodles served here. As I was developing a bit of a sore throat of late, I thought I better avoid all the spicy ones and that left me with just a single choice - fish ball noodle ($48).



Boat noodles are best known for its round bodied and dark colored soup (Oniyomeryori has a very nice piece here on boat noodles if you happen to read Chinese.) that is both savory and spicy with slight herbal notes. But judging by the color of this broth, it's really not that dark and it didn't look that spicy. A sip of the soup revealed that I was right on the money with my initial assessment. It was pretty bland (neither savory nor spicy) and watery. The herbal note was there but it was a pretty mild one that didn't give the noodles enough to work with.



Thai iced milk tea ($25) - The color looked like the same one I have grown to enjoy so much all these years but the result was again a disappointing one. Very watery with a complete lack of tea flavor. I've always been a huge fan of Thai milk tea but so far, Greyhound Cafe is the only one in the city that provides an authentic Thai milk tea (Anyone has other suggestions?).



It was a very disappointing experience. Everything from the noodle soup to iced milk tea came with a complete lack of flavors. And we're talking about a cuisine that makes a name for itself with its incredible complexity of flavors.

Food Rating: 2/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop E & F1, G/F, Rose Mansion, NO.1 Prat Avenue, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2788-3060


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think