Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Dang Wen Li by Dominique Ansel Harbour City 當文歷餅店 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Finally, I gotta meet my hair stylist after nearly two months. In between those two months, I became a part-time half stylist (only for myself) and almost made a second career out of it. Of course, my hair stylist and I made a big laugh out of the whole saga and he made fun of my work (my hair-do) which I knew wasn't ideal but hey, I was just doing millions of Hongkongers did last month and that's cutting my own hair in front of a mirror.

After my haircut, I went over to Harbour City to check out the newly launched New York Collection (當文歷漫遊紐約) at Dang Wen Li by Dominique Ansel (當文歷餅店). Surprisingly, there was a modest lineup in front so I knew I had to act fast before the new collection was all gone.



This was not the first time that it happened. Everything just fell apart when I transported them home and I thought I did a heck of a job. They must do something with their packing or else they better make sure that the pastries stick to the card board on the bottom. This was simply a mess!


I did my best to put these back together.


Siu Mai (燒賣) - Something they brought back from the dead which does not belong to the New York Collection. 


I had these a couple of times before. It's a combination of milk chocolate mousse, pear gelée, moist flourless chocolate biscuit and crispy chocolate feuilletine. Now, I have always enjoyed the pairing of chocolate and pair in the past (not just here but everywhere) but this time, it didn't work cuz the chocolate was way too overpowering for us to taste the sweetness of pear. 


New York Slice (紐約披薩) – I randomly took two out of the four pastries in the new New York Collection, New York Slice and Bodega Coffee Cup Tiramisu while leaving Haute Dog and A Bite of the Big Apple for next time. But looks like luck wasn't on my side today.

The slice of “pizza” was actually a strawberry tart, with fromage blanc mousse, fresh sliced strawberries, strawberry basil jam, kirsch-soaked almond biscuit, and vanilla sablé. The fromage blanc mousse was obviously the key here but it was like having a milk custard without the cheesy flavors.


Bodega Coffee Cup Tiramisu (咖啡杯) – Slightly better was the coffee cup.


A nod to those iconic blue coffee cups at the corner bodega, in fact it was their modern take on a classic tiramisu.


This came with espresso and Kahlua-soaked almond biscuit, mascarpone cream and 66% dark chocolate mousse. The white chocolate “lid” on top was pretty cute.


Like always, these are just way too cute to eat. Fortunately this time though, they look much better than they really taste.





Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop OT G63A, G/F, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, 3-27 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2613-8618
Website: www.dangwenli.com
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 8:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think