Saturday, March 12, 2022

Afternoon Tea at The Peninsula The Lobby (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I got another much deserved Saturday off with little nugget going to the beach with his friends this afternoon. After visiting a couple of places in Tsim Sha Tsui, I decided to venture over to The Peninsula Hotel to see if I could squeeze in a quick afternoon tea.



The Lobby at The Peninsula used to be the place to see and be seen. I am not quite sure if it's still the case under the pandemic.



It used to be impossible to get a table around here but not anymore!



I haven't taken off my mask in the public for a few weeks now so it felt a little strange when I had to put it away with the three-tier stand finally arriving in front of me. I had to take a deep breath before removing my mask.



The Peninsula's famous scones with dried raisins. Not bad (albeit I am not a fan).



As usual, they were served with clotted cream and strawberry jam.



The second tier featuring their finger sandwiches. Classic cucumber sandwich, tortino with eggplant caponata peppers and tuna, and then focaccia with parma ham, mascarpone and basil.



Lastly, panino verde with shrimp, artichoke and a hint of lemon. Out of this group, the cucumber sandwich was easiest the best of the bunch.



Moving onto the top tier with the sweet treats. 
Panna cotta with red fruit and vanilla, tiramisu with lady finger and coffee cream, zeppole with custard cream and morello cherry, and cassata mousse with ricotta chocolate and orange cream. I was a little disappointed with these. The tiramisu was reasonably good but I expected a lot more coming from the other three (especially from The Peninsula).



My server came over and dropped these off. Was it a complimentary treat? I thought the timing was perfect. The deep-fried olives with minced meat provided some lovely acidity to offset the sweetness of the dessert. Like I said, great timing.



With little nugget not around me in the last three weeks, I was able to afford the time to do a few things which I never did when he's around. Enjoying afternoon tea at The Peninsula is one of them!

    

Afterwards, I took a leisure walk around Tsim Sha Tsui Promenade. Hey, it's only 5pm and I was in no rush to head back home!


I thought today's afternoon tea experience at The Lobby really paled in comparison to my previous one at The Peninsula Boutique & Café (downstairs at the arcade) in almost every facet of the game. Service, quality of food and even ambience. In fact, I could say it's one of the most overrated dining experience ever.





Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$$
Address: G/F, The Peninsula Hong Kong, 22 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui / East Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2696-6772
Opening Hours: 2:00pm - 4:30pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think