Sunday, August 9, 2020

GāGǐNāng 飯館 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

 It’s been a pretty uneventful couple of weeks for me to say the least. With the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases soaring in the past few weeks, I have been working mostly from home. Sitting around my desk for the whole day and even eating my lunch there wasn’t much fun. One thing I started realizing too was how incompetent my helper is with cooking. I was joking with Jelloman the other day that perhaps we should send her off for a few Cordon Bleu courses when the pandemic is over.

Over the weekend, we finally decided that we had enough of home cooking. It was time for some decent food outside the comfort of our home.

But obviously, lots of Hongkongers are going through the same struggle we had. When we arrived at Harbour City around noon time, and check this out most restaurants we approached (Js Foodie, The Cheesecake Factory and a couple others) were already packed with customers in and out. We kept looking elsewhere and eventually stumbled upon GāGǐNāng (飯館), an upscale Chinese restaurant at the Ocean Terminal side. After more than half an hour’s wait, we finally got our table, not one table but two.


Of course, the harbour view was just a bonus at this point. All we wanted was some delicious food to fill up out tummies!


It was weird sitting across from my teammates but hey, I won’t mind a bit of Me Time away from little nugget!

It was almost 3:30pm when we started chewing away these snacks.

Steamed rabbit shrimp dumplings (兔仔蝦餃) ($58) - Something for little one. It feels a little strange that I had to walk over to the neighboring table to get my share.


Pan-fried turnip and shrimp cakes (香煎蘿蔔粿) ($48) - Pretty tasty but I didn’t find any minced shrimp in the mix.


Steamed rice flour rolls with shrimp and coriander (香菜鮮蝦腸粉) ($52) - Pretty nice. The rice flour roll was working well with the sweet soy. Love the bouncy texture of the prawns.

Pan-fried pickle and Kurobuta pork buns (梅菜黑豚包) ($58) - One of my favorite dim sum this afternoon. 

The buns were very spongy and the fillings of Kurobuta pork and pickled vegetables were really heartwarming.

Steamed pork and shrimp dumpling in supreme broth (高湯灌湯餃) ($68) - I didn’t realize we got this one. By the time, I finally got my hands on it, the dumpling was already broken wide open.

Hm...not bad.

Steamed honeycomb tripes in spicy sauce (醬皇金錢肚) ($52) - I could use some spicy food at this point and this bowl of steamed honeycomb tripes was right up my alley. Very tender and delicious.

Fish balls soup with udon (潮州魚蛋稻庭烏冬) ($58) - Little nugget wanted his soup noodle and of course, he got his wish.


Stir-fried flat noodles with Wagyu beef in soy sauce (乾炒和牛吋半河) ($198) - Old dad also got his wish with this stir-fried noodles with beef. I haven’t had this classic Cantonese dish for ages and I picked a good place to have it. I thought the Wagyu was really tender (a little too tender perhaps without the bite) but the flat noodles were the key. Excellent “wok hei” (鑊氣) and yeah, I could live with the extra grease every now and then.



Somehow I found our dim sum extra delicious today, even more so than what we had from three Michelin starred T’ang Court a few weeks ago. I think the fact that we haven’t eaten out for such a long time has a lot to do with it.



Food Rating: 6.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop OT310, 3/F, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, 3-27 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2116-9068
Opening Hours: 11:30am - 11:00pm daily


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think