Friday, August 14, 2020

Deluxe Bakery (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I discovered this neighborhood bakery and cake shop called “Deluxe” a while back when I was going to lunch at Ricky’s Kitchen. Always wanted to give it a go but never had enough urge to do it until ironically, during the pandemic. Part of me really wanted to do my small part to help our F&B industry. It’s my own little way to show my appreciation for guys working in this sector. It takes a great deal of passion (all those long hours) and without those passionate guys, we won’t have our tasty bread, pastries and gourmet dishes to enjoy.

 

This time, I decided to send Jelloman out to get some pastries for me and thank goodness, she didn’t come back empty handed. She got herself some scones and bread; and then a couple of cakes as my afternoon treat.

 

Mont Blanc – For a small bakery shop, I certainly didn’t expect such a pleasantly presented Mont Blanc cake. At least not in the industrial side of Lai Chi Kok. It was pretty delicious. 

Mom and little nugget were both raving about the silky smooth chestnut purée. Judging by the smile on their face, it had to be reasonably good.


Pineapple mousse cake – Jelloman picked this cuz she thought we don’t exactly see a pineapple mousse cake everyday. And I have to agree with that.


I thought the pineapple mousse wasn’t bad but the dessert as a whole was pretty one dimensional. There’s no contrasting texture or flavor to drum up the pineapple theme. In fact, I thought the most obvious element missing was some form of sweetness to complement the acidity of pineapple. Perhaps some coconut flavors.





Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop A2B, G/F, Block A, Hong Kong Industrial Centre, 489-491 Castle Peak Road, Lai Chi Kok, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Lai Chi Kok
Tel: +852 3188-0936
Opening Hours: 9:00am - 7:00pm (Mon - Sat)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think