Thursday, May 24, 2018

The Pawn (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Normally, I don't go a couple of months without re-visiting The Pawn for lunch so I'm back here again this afternoon. I have less than an hour today so I know I have to make good use of my time.



Pork terrine with pickled cauliflower, carrot and radish - Smooth, meaty and without the usual amount of fat (or gelatin) one always sees from a pork terrine. That's a pretty good recipe for a nice piece of terrine.

I don't usually like food with strong acidity so on a typical day, I won't be touching the pickled cauliflower and carrot but I thought they did well to balance the richness of the terrine. So, I ended up finishing them all.



Slow-cooked beef rump with pumpkin and asparagus - Rump steaks are usually a bit tricky. Just the slightest overcooking and it will turn rubbery like an old boot (which is why I don't usually order them!). But this was decent. A little chewy but way better than those from some of my worst dining experience.



Surprisingly, I have just enough time to squeeze in dessert and coffee ($40 supplement). Not that I really needed dessert at this point because I do have a pair of cruffins I just bought from Bakehouse (See paper bag).



Sticky banana pudding with honeycomb and vanilla ice-cream - I really miss their sticky toffee pudding but if there's any consolation, they had sticky banana pudding as one of the two choices for dessert today, which I jumped on immediately.

This tasted a lot like the banana cake we found from the local bakeries. Pretty pillowy which was always nice. The vanilla ice-cream didn't really taste like vanilla though. I thought it tasted like sabayon, which was even better match with the banana pudding if you ask me. 



Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: 62 Johnston Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2866-3444
Website: www.thepawn.com.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think