Friday, May 11, 2018

HAKU curated by Hideaki Matsuo (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I am back at HAKU to check on their “normal” set lunch menu on my own this afternoon. The omakase menu was excellent when we tried it two weeks ago but I wanted to see how they fare without the premium ingredients.



Between the two set menu offered at lunch, I had a choice between lobster ($380) and Iberico pork ($450) as my main course. Pretty tough choice but I never say no to lobster especially after my recent run of meat.



Amuse bouche again provided me with a flying start to this meal.



On top of the bite-sized okonomiyaki and beetroot cone which I had last time, I was presented with a crispy kibinago fish skewer and a gazpacho made with white garlic, celery and olive oil. Good thing I left the gazpacho last coz that was seriously refreshing.




The first course of the set menu was korodai fish from Nagahama served with sea lettuce (seaweed?). This was pretty refreshing thanks to the nice acidity from the yuzu dressing. And there’s a bit of kombu flavor in there somewhere which provided a nice complement to the sea lettuce.



Next up was my nicely plated main dish with the lobster topped by slices of pickled cauliflower and served with dashes of miso purée. Before I got the chance to sneak in a photo, the chef already started pouring in the finishing touch with a light lobster sauce made with its bones.



The lobster meat was really nice with lovely bouncy texture. I was surprised how light the sauce was but if the idea was to let the natural flavors shine (in this case, the lobster), then I’m all for it. It was a pretty enjoyable dish. The only thing I didn’t like about it was the acidity from the pickled cauliflower. I thought the lobster was already delicious enough on its own so really didn’t see the point of introducing additional acidity into the mix.



There was a second part to this lobster dish, which came with a bowl of Koshihikari rice covered with sakura ebi and a deep-fried lobster claw.




The lobster claw was seriously tasty and the thin batter just perfect. Now, this decision to take lobster over pork is really making me look like a genius.



As much as I wanted food to keep coming, it’s time for dessert (no palate cleanser?).
Dessert today was homemade ice cream sandwich with black sesame custard cream filling. There was some matcha cream around the edge of the sandwich to give it some vegetal and grassy notes.



Some black and white sesame sugar was provided as a dip but I thought the ice-cream sandwich was already sweet enough on its own.



A small canapé of yuzu bon bon and it's about time for me to get some shopping done in the mall. 



Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$$
Address: Shop OTG04, G/F Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, 3-27 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2115-9965
Website: www.haku.com.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think