Monday, October 30, 2017

Sir Elly's Restaurant at Peninsula Shanghai (Shanghai, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Sir Elly's was the last restaurant I visited before I said goodbye to Shanghai. As the fine dining restaurant of Peninsula Shanghai, my expectation was naturally pretty high on different facets of their game (service, decor and of course food).



But the first thing that got my adrenaline going here was the breathtaking view of the Bund



Like most waterfront restaurants in Shanghai, Sir Elly's doesn't have a bird's eye view of the Bund from up high but it's the peaceful and relaxing way to enjoy the view with ships passing by in slow motion that had me all excited and pumped up.



They offered me a French baguette and brioche while I was still going through their lunch menu. These were very very good and so were the butter (red one was tomato flavored I thought).



For what the restaurant has to offer, the lunch menu sure looks like a huge bargain. Diners are invited to create their own multi-course menu which started at 118 RMB for the first course with any additional course priced at 110 RMB each.

Lunch menu at Sir Elly's

Starting things off for me was a pair of caramelized scallops sitting on top of some poached cabbages. The sweetness of the scallops were nicely paired with a combination of exotic flavors from the orange zest, orange juice and citrus foam.



Next up was Australian wagyu beef flank steak served with toasted polenta.



The strips of wagyu beef were pretty tender and the sauce made with olive and confit tomatoes was a nice touch.



I was really tempted to explore their tapas-style menu a little further but decided to back off since there're only another a couple of hours left before my flight takes off left.



Everything matches what I have expected from a Michelin starred restaurant although some minor details were missing. For example, a brief description on some of the ingredients used in each dish would have been nice.




Food Rating: 6/10
Price: ¥¥¥
Address: 13/F, The Peninsula Shanghai, No 32 The Bund, 32 Zhongshan Dong Yi Road, Shanghai, China
Closest Metro Station: Nangjing East Road
Tel: +86 21 2327-6756
Website: shanghai.peninsula.com/en/fine-dining/sir-ellys-restaurant



Shanghai China restaurant best bund view Michelin star top fine dining

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think