Thursday, May 26, 2016

Café Hillywood (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I can't remember exactly when was the last time I took a stroll on Austin Road but I bet it has to be at least 6 months ago. This area (near Austin Avenue) has changed a lot since my last visit and as my friends often like to say, it's like a "Little Seoul" these days with all those Korean fried chicken restaurants. But tonight, my mission and vision is not on Korean beer and chicken. I'm here to check out Café Hillywood, a hearty little café on Austin Road just across the street from the Hong Kong Bowling Green Club. 



This is a bit of a curious place for a bakery cafe like this. I am looking forward to seeing what's hidden down in the basement behind these stairs.



Wow, that's pretty big stage for a live band performance but where's the band? I guess it's a little too early (6pm).....



Even before having anything to eat, I'm already in love with this place. It's like visiting somebody's house. Very cozy.



I am a sucker for anything made with peanut butter. And after taking a glance of the drink menu, I quickly spotted Peanut butter monster ($58). Yeah, get me one of those please. Quick.

This is primarily peanut butter and vanilla ice-cream. Rich and thick. Yum.



I know this kitchen is highly touted for their homemade pasta which is freshly handmade everyday and not surprisingly, their signature dish, sea urchin pasta ($138), also featured these pasta. But since I wasn't in the mood for sea urchin this afternoon, I went with their truffle pasta with portobello mushrooms ($118) instead. This was taking a lot longer than I expect (Could they be making these pasta freshly after receiving my order?). After a 25-30 minute wait, the much anticipated dish finally arrived.

I really like the black truffle there as it was very creamy and full of flavors. Mixed feelings about the fresh egg pasta though. Yes, I got the rich eggy flavors there but the bite wasn't that great. Perhaps it's been overcooked ever so slightly and so it's become a little soggy?



I was in a hurry to leave sharply at 6:45pm so didn't get the chance to see the band perform. Next time, I will make sure that I come by at the right time.

Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, Austin Tower, 152 Austin Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Jordan
Tel: +852 2762-1727


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think