Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Dalloyau (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

It's been a while since I last indulged myself in Dalloyau's fine French pastries. After having a quick lunch at Alma Portuguese Grill, I thought it's about time that I pay them a visit to see what they've newly created for the summer.



I have always been a fan of their opera, dalloyau and religieuse caramel but so far, their newer creations have not been able to impress me as much.



Perhaps some of these new ones can finally win me over!?



Douceur Exotique - Vanilla mousse, passion fruit and banana cremeux, passion fruit glaze and shortbread base. I haven't tried this one before so I considered it a new item.

On the outside, it looked a bit like a mandarin but it's made up of different layers including a very delicate vanilla mousse as well as a passion fruit and banana cremeux. The balance of sweetness and acidity was about right and the same could be said for the texture. Just about right. Not bad.



Le Matcha - Green tea mousse, red bean curd, white chocolate cream. This is their newest and featured creation for the summer.

Dalloyau is an old French institution so it's a little rare to see them incorporate Japanese inspiration into their pastries. But this is very Japanese; matcha mousse with red bean curd right in the middle of the action. The white chocolate cream, I thought was more for decorative purposes than anything else. Personally, I found this to be just OK. The sponge cake in between the mousse was really not soft nor spongy enough. This paled in comparison with a similar creation that I have eaten many times at Pâtisserie Yamakawa.



I like the fact that they're experimenting with different ingredients such as green tea and red bean but the execution has got to be a little better to justify their status as one of the top French patisseries in town. 

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$$
Address: Shop 403, 4/F, Ocean Centre, Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 3185-8330
Website: www.dalloyau.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think