Sunday, July 19, 2026

Kotohira Terrace ことひらテラス (Kotohira, JAPAN) ★★★☆☆

We’re making one crucial stop before heading towards Awaji Island (淡路島) this afternoon. Kotohiragu Shrine (金刀比羅宮), also known as Konpira-san, is Shikoku’s most popular Shinto shrine complex and it stands halfway up Mount Zozu in Kagawa Prefecture. Reaching it is considered a sacred pilgrimage, famously requiring an arduous climb up a massive stone staircase. 

Even though we had a few shrines planned for this trip, Kotohiragu Shrine was the only one left standing on our itinerary, mostly because both the elderlies and the little nugget simply couldn’t bear the heat or the staircase climb. But at least, I thought we could conquer the toughest one of all in the prefecture together (at least that was the original plan).

After parking our car close to Konpira Omotesando, where we found cafes and souvenir shops lining both sides of the pedestrian street, we started walking up toward the shrine.


This was when I began losing my team one member after another. One by one, they fell behind until I was the only one left when I finally reached the entrance, 785 stone steps away from the Main Shrine (御本宮).


At around 36 degrees, there were moments when I seriously thought about giving up but giving up isn’t in my dictionary.



So I kept chunking the climb — step by step, breath by breath — until I finally arrived at the Main Shrine (御本宮主殿), after climbing all 785 stone steps. Located 251 meters above sea level, it houses the main pavilion and even features a wide observation deck overlooking the Sanuki Plain.

There’s also the Inner Shrine (奧社), the true summit, which requires an additional 583 steps bringing the total to 1,368 stone steps but I had enough exercise for the day already. It was time to take the 785 steps back to the Konpira Omotesando.


And soon, I realized what my team had been doing while I was busy climbing. 


They were enjoying soft serve ice cream on beds of shaved ice flavored with soda at Kotohira Terrace (琴平露臺), right on Konpira Omotesando.


I could use one of these chairs to rest my sore feet.



That was quite an exercise under the heat. I’m glad I did it. Now, it’s time to get started on our 1.5-hour drive to Minamiawaji. 




Price: ¥¥¥
Address: 716-5 Kotohira, Nakatado, Kagawa, 766-0001, Japan
Tel: +81 (0)877-75-0001
Opening Hours: 10:30am - 3:30pm (Mon - Fri), 11:30am - 4:30pm (Sat - Sun)



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think