Thursday, February 24, 2022

The Great Escape

With the rapidly escalating rate of Covid-19 cases, we should all know a few friends, co-workers or relatives who have been infected by now. And although we understand for a fact that someone close could be next, it does not feel any easier when it actually happens right in front of your very eyes.

So, when our helper's RAT result showed a blurred line next to the "T" column this morning, my hands were sweating a little bit. I tried to stay calm before coming up with the next course of action. A second test with a different brand of test kit. Yeah, that's it. Two solid lines this time. Bingo. 

Contingency measures, business continuity; we have all done it at work before but this is Ground Zero. A place we called home in the last little while.

We packed up and trust me, we did it fast and in no time, we were ready to take off. I initially wanted to stay behind because it's much easier to work from home at the comfort of your home but Jelloman convinced me that it's not safe to stick around. Little nugget, of course, was long gone as he has already left for grandy's house way before we finished with our little conversation.

While Jelloman and little guy left for her parents' house, I decided to take a different route. I have been in close contact with our helper much more than they did. Hell, I just finished milk and toast prepared by her this morning moments before she tested positive. If we are going to do a self-quarantine the proper way, I should be going somewhere else.

I rang mom up telling her what just transpired in the last couple of hours. The first word coming out of her mouth, "Come!".

So, I'm back where I grew up for the foreseeable future. This is truly Ground Zero for me. I can't recall when I looked at this view last time but I bet it was quite a while ago. As a kid, I have always enjoyed standing by the window admiring the view but the noise from the trains (especially ones at 6am-ish) really sucks.











Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think