Tuesday, September 26, 2023

After You Dessert Café Lee Tung Avenue (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★☆☆☆☆

For a number of years, Jelloman has been telling me about After You Dessert Café at Tang Lung Street in Causeway Bay. Even during the pandemic, it was impossible to get in (Too bad they don't take reservations) and believe me, we did try but failed miserably. So, when I heard about this popular Thai café relocating to Lee Tung Avenue in Wanchai, I decided to come and have a look.



After You Dessert Ca
fé is best known for their kakigori (or shaved ice) and butter toast.



I decided to come in for a closer look. At 12pm, there wasn't a whole lot of customers. Perhaps, people haven't heard about their relocation?



I knew this place quite well from its previous life as home of the first Omotesando Koffee in Hong Kong.


Thai milk tea – My first impression wasn't a very good one. The Thai milk tea was bland like water. There weren't enough tea flavors, sweetness......everything that could go wrong with this drink, did go wrong.


Mango sticky rice toast – I chose a butter toast that came with a Thai twist. Presumably, this was inspired by the great mango sticky rice.


The butter toast was topped with cubes of fresh mango, sticky rice and a scoop of coconut ice-cream, and served with another scoop of mango ice-cream and coconut sauce on the side (something we can probably do at home, right?).

As soon as I cut the bread open, I realized something was wrong. While the toast was crispy outside, the interior was all soggy thanks to an excessive amount of melted butter in the middle. The texture of the bread was soft and a bit mushy. To make things worse, the mango wasn't ripe so there was this sharp acidity added to a dessert that was supposed to be pretty sweet.


I decided that I better stayed away from my butter toast and bring out the hazelnut chocolate doughnut I got from Bakehouse instead. It tasted so much better.


There was no other way to put it. This was a total failure and for sure, an one-and-done for me. I just didn't understand why there was such a big hype about it in the first place.




Food Rating: 3/10 
Price: $$$$
Address: Shop G24, 25 Lee Tung Street, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2312-2038
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 10:30pm (Sun - Thu), 12:00pm - 11:00pm (Fri - Sat)


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think