Monday, December 28, 2020

Caprice (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I thought it was important to finish an unforgettable 2020 with a bang so I rounded up a few of us with spoiled taste buds for one last decent meal together before the end of this horrible year. I picked the venue this afternoon and it's one of my favorites - Caprice at Four Seasons Hotel.


I made sure that they reserved this corner here for us so we could enjoy some private (sort of) moments together.


We were again started off with some fine selection of bread. I thought only Gaddi's serves better French bread here in Hong Kong.


Our meal kicked off in brilliant fashion thanks to a refreshing amuse. Underneath the layer of silky potato purée were quail egg yolk, a bit of raw salmon and crushed nuts.


The majority of us had Caprice's signature foie gras terrine with walnuts and pear chutney as the first dish. 


But I had a different idea and good thing I did, cuz my starter was obviously a little better. It was a really well-designed and executed dish with deliciously sweet Brittany scallop sashimi laying on top of a crispy wafer and a small tower of diced celeriac right underneath.


I really enjoyed the different textures from the dish, highlighted by the crunch from the celeriac and the quince vinaigrette put on the finishing touch with some lovely acidity.


The second course of the menu was lobster bisque with squid ravioli and sautéed leeks, a very similar dish we had last time in May. The lobster soup was pretty nice but I thought the ravioli was a little dry today and the fact that the wrapper was a bit thick certainly didn't help.


While everyone enjoyed a break in action, I was the only one who decided to take on a fish course. The thin slice of monkfish with ham crust and powder, was finished off nicely with a Parmesan cheese emulsion which has been infused with yellow wine from France. I love the fragrance from the spiked sauce, delivering a strong finish to the dish.


My meat course was beautifully cooked Guinea fowl with beetroot and pomegranate.


I have always liked the texture of French chicken but the Poulette mustard sauce wasa little over the top this afternoon.


The variations of beetroot was pretty nice though. Beetroot juice, purée and a beetroot roll stuffed with what I thought was veal.



Winter season is perfect for Mont Blanc desserts. Make no mistake, this is no ordinary Mont Blanc cake.


There were different layers of goodness hidden underneath the chestnut puree including creme brulee, vanilla ice-cream and Corsican clementine compote all with contrasting texture and flavor. Very very tasty indeed. I thought the base made with crispy buckwheat biscuit was a nice touch too.


Finally, some petite fours and a cup of tea to wrap things up.


Not the best meal I had this week (best one would be a previous lunch at L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon) but nevertheless, a very good one. Now, let's turn the page and hope for a much much better 2021 ahead.




Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$$
Address: 6/F, 8 Finance Street, Four Seasons Hotel, Central, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Hong Kong Station
Tel: +852 3196-8860
Website: www.fourseasons.com/hongkong/dining/restaurants/caprice
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, 6:30pm - 10:30pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think