Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Bangkok Canteen 曼谷食堂 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I'm really starting to run out of places for dinner near Fortress Hill. I knew I better start digging out some new places beginning tonight. 

Finally, mission completed tonight as I found this neighborhood Thai restaurant, Bangkok Canteen (曼谷食堂) near the MTR station.



The wall decorated with cans of ChaTraMue tea certainly got my attention. So did the service from the team. Very attentive like you would expect from a good neighborhood restaurant.



The set dinner started off brightly with a small bowl of duck consommé, served with a big piece of daikon and bean curd. Hey, not bad. Perhaps, I'm onto something here.


Pad-thai with tiger prawns. The noodles were still sizzling hot, which was perfect on a chilly winter night like tonight.


The noodles were really nice and moist with good "wok hei" (鑊氣). The prawns, very bouncy texture.


As a Thai milk tea junkie, of course I knew the brand ChaTraMue by heart. It's been in business for 75 years and counting. But I had to admit, this was my first time having hot Thai milk tea and it tasted a little funny without ice.



I overheard the Restaurant Manager talking to a number of customers bragging about their curry dishes and other signature offerings. I guess I will be back soon check those out pretty soon (with an iced Thai milk tea!).



Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 1, G/F, 147-151 King's Road, Fortress Hill, Tin Hau, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Fortress Hill
Tel: +852 2376-1066
Opening Hours: 11:30am - 9:30pm daily


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think