Saturday, September 29, 2018

Maze Grill by Gordon Ramsay (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay joined forces with Dining Concepts once again for his third restaurant in Hong Kong this week. After months of intensive preparation, Maze Grill was ready for its first service at the Ocean Terminal Extension next to Japanese-French fusion restaurant, à nu retrouvez-vous.



Apart from the "Hell's Kitchen” star's signature dishes (Beef Wellington!), the British steakhouse also has a stunning harbour view to boot.



This looks like a great place to be having a meal when there are fireworks shooting up over the harbour.



Our afternoon started off with some homemade focaccia but the star was in fact the bone marron butter on the side.



Grilled diver scallops ($158) - A trio of grilled diver scallops were served on the shell with green apple, and crunchy tempura bits (or tenkasu which is crumbs made from tempura batter). The coriander sauce with a hint of Jalapeno provided a little fragrance and an extra kick for the dish. Fairly decent.



Hot smoked miso salmon ($218) - As a fan of Chef Ramsay's melt-in-the-mouth crispy skin salmon, I knew I had to order this one. But I was totally disappointed with the results. Both the texture and seasoning were a little off the mark. A far cry from the crispy salmon I had at Hell's Kitchen in Vegas earlier this year, which was really delicious.



Black truffle tagliatelle ($168) - A pasta dish before our steak arrived. This came with porcini, aged parmesan and chives. Not too bad.



British butcher's cut, dry aged rib-eye ($488) - If my memory serves me correctly, this is probably my first experience with butcher's cut from Britain.



To my pleasant surprise, the rib-eye was real tender and juicy, and there's enough fat in there to keep me happy. 



I really wanted my sticky toffee pudding (perhaps my favorite dish from the foul-mouthed chef) but since everyone voted against it, I was happy to just go for the bill instead.

Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop OTE401, Level 4, Ocean Terminal, Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2765-0890
Website: www.diningconcepts.com/restaurants/maze-Grill


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think