Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The Pawn (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

With Akrame and 22 Ships currently in my doghouse, I was down to just a few preferred dining options in Wanchai and so I decided it's time to go back to The Pawn for a quick visit. Ever since they started their collaboration with chef Tom Aikens, I found myself coming back here a lot more coz there's now more than just the nostalgic vibe.




Butternut squash soup - I love butternut squash and that's how it all started for me today, a bowl of warm butternut squash soup. Before they poured the soup in, I got a glimpse of this busy-looking dish that also featured scoops of poached pumpkin, honey yogurt, flower crumbs and last but not least, some toasted pumpkin seeds.

This tasted pretty darn good, especially on a chilly day like this. It made my stomach a tad warmer.



Slow-cooked cod fish - On most given days, I would have gone with the roasted chicken roll in a heartbeat but not today. Not when the medical report for my regular check-up was still sitting warm at home. Oh yes, I have made a renewed commitment to eat healthy again!

I was in need for something a little more plain and less oily. And that pointed to the direction of their slow-cooked cod fish. This was pretty bland (as one could tell from the color of the fish) but the coconut lemongrass risotto with edamame and lotus root chips made it slightly more interesting (than it really was).



The Pawn's tiramisu - Okay, I was supposed to stay away from dessert but I couldn't. I mean how could one hide from a dessert menu that is highlighted by their signature sticky date pudding and The Pawn's tiramisu.

I knew this was going to be a deconstructed tiramisu all the way and I turned out to be right on the money. On top of the mascarpone cream, chocolate sponge (no ladyfinger) and coffee jelly were a scoop of coffee ice-cream and espresso granita. It was fairly decent but somehow I found the sweetness and bitterness not harmonizing each other as well as I thought they would.



I think I have said it a few times here already - The Pawn is more suited for dinner than lunch (coz the lunch menu offers very limited choice) and looks like I was spot on again.

Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: 62 Johnston Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Tel: +852 2866-3444
Website: www.thepawn.com.hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think