Sunday, March 26, 2017

Little Creatures (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

There's been very little motivation for me to drag myself all the way to Kennedy Town these days but someone brought up the idea of visiting Little Creatures for brunch this weekend. Since Little Creatures have long been on my radar, the result was a resounding yes for me.



In case you haven't heard of Little Creatures yet, they're one of the newest additions to the Kennedy Town waterfront offering an all-day menu of burgers, pasta, pizza, steak and beer from its own brewery. I guess gastropub would be the proper term to classify them.



They have around 10 beers on tap when we arrived today. Which one should I get!?



I ended up getting this one called Hoppy Hoffy which was refreshingly light.



It was almost 2PM already so after ordering our drinks, we started going through their brunch menu at lightning speed.



Beetroot and goat cheese salad ($95) - This was a no-brainer for a beet freak like me. Poached beetroot and a mix of garden green always make me a happy camper. I like the goat cheese and sherry vinaigrette there for a bit of mild acidity and the crushed hazelnuts for the nice crunch. Pretty good start.



Corn on the cob ($65) - I just finished off a trip to Australia last month and boy, did I ever have a steady diet of sweet corn and quinoa. Not surprisingly, since Little Creatures is also originated from Australia, they have this starter called Corn on the cob on the menu featuring sweet corn with toasted quinoa. I really like the texture there. The spiced mayo did a fine job for the extra kick (though I believe there's still a bit of room for improvement).



Uni carbonara ($160) - Everyone was saying sea urchin and spaghetti are a match made in heaven. I couldn't agree more. Looks like they have a good one here with generous portions of sea urchin and egg yolk served on top of al dente linguine pasta. This was a very nice dish. I personally would prefer angel hair with sea urchin but they had me convinced that linguine would work with uni just fine.



Mushroom risotto ($130) - I thought this was even better than the uni carbonara. The risotto was perfectly creamy and the rich porcini mushroom flavor was wonderfully complemented by the smoked cheddar and truffle cream. Without question, the best dish of the afternoon.



Grass fed rib-eye ($295) - The rib-eye was alright but unfortunately, not enough smoky flavor and it's missing a bit of a flavorful crust.



Creme brulee ($95) - Traditionally, dessert is always the weakest link from a gastropub but that's not the case here at all. I went with their creme brulee and it was a pretty solid offering. Love the hint of rosemary there for the nice spicy kick (a very subtle one).



Ice-cream cup ($105) - And who would say no to three large scoops of homemade ice-cream!?



It was served with honeycomb and fresh berries. A nice and refreshing end to our brunch.







Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$$
Address: Shop 1, G/F, New Fortune House, 2-5A New Praya, Kennedy Town, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Kennedy Town
Tel: +852 2833-5611
Website: https://littlecreatures.hk/



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think