Friday, March 24, 2017

Amaroni's Little Italy (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★☆☆☆

It's been a while since I last met up with my youngest cousin. I was planning to call her up to see if she's interested in joining me for dinner this week but before I could reach out for my phone, I got a ping from her asking me to have dinner together. As always, I was tasked with finding ourselves a place to eat. Since she has already picked Festival Walk as our meeting spot, that really helped to narrow things down a lot for me.

I had a pretty good time dining at Amaroni's following their brief renovation work a few months ago. Their revamped menu looked more than decent and oh their tiramisu, I can never stop myself from ordering that. That pick turned out to be much easier than I thought.



Stuffed mushrooms ($92) - Garlic herb butter-stuffed shiitake mushrooms, parmesan shavings, spinach, pine nuts and herbs served over a basil butter and wine sauce.

It's nice that they offer most of their dishes in different portions so we can order a little more variety for sharing. A small portion of their stuffed mushrooms was the first thing we ordered. Didn't realize that it comes with just 4 little pieces though.

This tasted pretty good. For a moment, I thought I was having an escargot (thanks to that herb butter on top).



Pan seared salmon ($238) - Judging from its texture, it looked like the salmon fillet has first been sous-vide and then lightly seared for the crispy skin.



I couldn't say I really enjoyed the texture of this "pan-seared" salmon at all. Thought it was a little too mushy for my liking. On top of that, there was a miscue on the description of this dish on the menu. While the printing said the salmon came with peas, mint and crispy prosciutto, it showed up with asparagus and mashed potato!



Penne with mixed mushrooms and black truffle sauce ($198) - We ordered the L-size here and it was probably the best decision we made all night. Both of us liked the way the penne worked with the mixed wild mushrooms and porcini-black truffle cream sauce.



While some of the dishes tasted alright, the overall experience was clearly trending in the wrong direction (and I haven't even touched on their service!).

Food Rating: 4/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 32, LG1, Festival Walk, 80 Tat Chee Avenue, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong Closest Metro Station: Kowloon Tong
Tel: +852 2265-8818
Website: Link


 

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think