Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Café Match Box 喜喜冰室 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

Like I've said many times here, I have a really soft spot for local cha chaan tengs which sometimes got me in trouble. After taking half a day off on a Friday afternoon, I found myself wandering around the streets of Causeway Bay (which I haven't done for a long long time). I was back to my usual tricks again looking for a quick afternoon tea at a cha chaan teng before finally arriving at Café Match Box (喜喜冰室).


I remembered the last time I had a meal at Café Match Box, they were still at their old location on Cleveland Street, just a stone's throw from Victoria Park. That was a long time ago.


You gotta like their throwback theme, especially this area that made me feel like I was eating inside a minibus!


Not sure if the bells on the minibus used to look like this one. I was too young to remember.



They have obviously spent some time brainstorming these fusion dishes. Toast with black sesame paste and condensed milk looked kind of interesting but I was craving for something savory.


Crispy fried chicken leg with ketchup and maggi seasoning fried rice (炸雞脾美極西炒飯) – That's a really long name. 

After going thru the food menu multiple times, I finally realized what I was craving for.....a crispy deep-fried chicken leg. This was so meaty and I like the fact that the seasoning wasn't over the top (like most cha chaan tengs). My only complaint was the crispy skin that turned out to be a little chewy. 


The fried rice made with ketchup and maggi sauce wasn't bad. I used to love eating this as a kid cuz it came with so many different ingredients including shrimp, sausage, ham, beans, corn and carrot. The only thing I found weird about the fried rice here was the cabbage underneath. It was so cold, which was a stark contrast to the fried rice that came piping hot.



Didn't get to try their pantyhose milk tea this afternoon. I am assuming that I'll get a chance for that in the near future.





Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop C&D, 57 Paterson Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Causeway Bay
Tel: +852 2868-0363
Opening Hours: 7:30am - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think