Sunday, March 13, 2022

One Dim Sum 一點心 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

And just like that, my 3-week hiatus to mom's place is officially in the books. My initial plan was to move back home yesterday but since mom was having her third shot, I figured I should stick around for another day to make sure she's alright.  

Somehow, I had trouble sleeping last night. I know I'm going to miss it here (despite the poor location and living condition). I will miss this room that I used to "own" as a kid, as well as my chit chat with mom and of course, her home cooking.

The last three weeks have been a real roller coaster ride for me. When I left my home on that fateful afternoon, I was wondering if I have been infected with Covid and what the future held for me and my family. As expected, I went through all the different stages of a life event (sad one, sort of); from denial to depression, anger and acceptance. I went from really hating every minute of staying at mom's place to slowly enjoying it. In fact, I'm starting to realize that maybe, just maybe it's the work of God that he made this happen on purpose so I could spend three weeks with mom alone. And how could I sleep well knowing that this could be my last chance to stay with her ever. 

I woke up early this morning to start packing. I was a little surprised how much stuff I bought over the past three weeks. Now I just needed to squeeze all that into my little luggage. Right after I finished up with my packing, I went out to get some dim sum for us. It's my little way of paying back to mom's hospitality. I guess.

Prince Edward is a small foodie's haven with all these little restaurants that serve hearty Chinese dishes. Tucked away on a side street just across from Mongkok Police Station, One Dim Sum (一點心) is one of those little restaurants that's pretty famous among the locals. As the name already suggests, its bread and butter is its parade of delicious dim sum. I've heard some comparison to Michelin-starred Tim Ho Wan (添好運) for its quality and value for money.


I waited for a good 30 minutes for my take-away order to be ready.


Mom laid them all out like a dim sum platter.


Steamed prawn dumplings (薄皮鮮蝦餃) – I'm not sure about the thin wrapper but these were pretty good. Very bouncy texture from the prawns, complemented nicely by the crunchy bamboo shoots.


Steamed pork dumplings with crab roes (蟹皇蒸燒賣) – Like the firm texture. Not as good as the hau gow but these weren't bad. Now I can slowly see why this place is so popular around here.


Steamed shrimp and vegetable dumplings (鮮蝦菜苗餃) – The dumplings were so stuffed with diced vegetables and shrimps. 


Steamed chicken feet in black bean sauce (豉椒蒸鳳爪) – Mom loves her chicken feet. I'm not a fan but I thought I should share this with her.


BBQ pork rice rolls (蜜汁叉燒腸) – Pretty nice.


Steamed Malaysian sponge cake (精製馬拉糕) – Finally, something sweet to wrap things up. This was quite spongy, exactly the way I like it.


Like I said earlier, this area has its fair share of hidden gems. Here's another one that's famous for its Shanghainese dishes. Too bad it's closed on Sundays.


I guess I will miss my little dining table for the past three weeks very much too! 


And this view, it never gets old. I grew up with it and it's there for me the past three weeks whenever I was having my breakfast, lunch and dinner.


Like everything in life, there are always two sides to a story. I still remembered I was full of grief when I first arrived at mom's door three weeks ago. But when I looked back, it's perhaps a blessing in disguise.





Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 209A-209B Tung Choi Street, Prince Edward, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Prince Edward
Tel: +852 2677-7888
Opening Hours: 9:30am - 12:00am (Mon - Fri), 8:30am - 12:00am (Sat - Sun) 



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think