Sunday, July 21, 2019

Three Virtues Vegetarian Restaurant 三德素食館 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

It's been at least a year since we last had a Chinese-style vegetarian meal so I decided to round up my team including mom who's the most passionate vegan food enthusiast I knew for lunch at Three Virtues Vegetarian Restaurant (三德素食館) today. Three Virtues is one of my favorite vegetarian restaurants on the Kowloon side. I've been there about half a dozen times before so I knew the place pretty well.



Stir-fried rice flour rolls with soy sauce (豉油皇煎腸粉) - They have a separate dim sum menu which is pretty common for a Chinese vegetarian restaurant these days. I ended up picking a few off this menu to kick things off.

The rice flour rolls I thought were a little on the hard side but I guess I shouldn't expect much from the dim sum chef here. After all, it's a vegetarian restaurant.  



Baked turnip puffs (千絲蘿蔔酥) - Again the shell was on the hard side. A good turnip puff should be crispy on the outside but this was more crunchy than crispy to me.



But the shredded turnips in the middle was juicy enough so perhaps I will give this a pass.



Vegetarian BBQ pork buns (麥汁素叉燒包) - I'm guessing the buns were made with wheat or semolina. 



Too bad there's not nearly enough barbecued pork sauce to go with the vegetarian barbecued pork so it was noticeably dry inside.



Vegetarian barbecued meat platter (雜錦齋鹵味) - Always a crowd pleaser at a Chinese vegetarian meal. The crispy bean curd sheets on top are my favorites, same goes for the tofu. 



Fried vegetarian fish made with bean curd sheets, seaweed and pine nuts in sweet and sour sauce (崧子五柳素黃魚) - Mom's all-time favorite dish. The "fish fillet" was made with bean curd sheets wrapped nicely by seaweed to give it some slightly chewy texture. The sweet and sour sauce was spot on. Now, where's my steamed rice?



Stir-fried flat rice noodles with vegetarian cartilage (干炒素軟骨河粉) - A surprisingly decent stir-fried flat noodles (干炒牛河) with good "wok hei" (鑊氣) but they replaced the beef with pork soft bones (vegetarian ones of course). Not bad but like most stir-fried flat noodles, a little oily.



Pan-fried pancake with green bean paste (豆茸紫薯煎軟餅) - Our dessert turned out to be my favorite dish this afternoon. I love pan-fried Chinese pancakes and these were beautiful. The sweet potato flavored flour was actually a pretty nice match with the green bean paste filling. Soft, slightly chewy, sweet but not too sweet just like the way I like them to be.



Right after the meal, Jelloman started telling me how crappy she thought today's meal was. But I guess for a meat and seafood lover, it's difficult for her to really appreciate vegetarian food. 

Food Rating: 4.5/10
Price: $$
Address: G/F & 4/F, JD Mall, 233-239 Nathan Road, Jordan, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Jordan
Tel: +852 3622-1888


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think