Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Bakehouse Wanchai (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I’m having an afternoon meeting with the team to catch up on a few things. It’s going to be at least two hours so I thought I better get some snacks to cheer everyone up. Bakehouse’s sourdough egg tarts immediately came to mind.

Wanchai’s eateries, casual or fine-dining, always go through what I called a honeymoon period in their first two to three months. You see huge lineups, everybody puts food pictures up on IG but boom, business starts falling off a cliff after that. In fact, lots of new restaurants in Wanchai hardly survive to see their second year. But not Bakehouse. Fresh off its first anniversary, the artisan bakery by Gregoire Michaud is still going strong.



One would argue what the signature bakery items are at Bakehouse. There are so many of them, from their cruffin, custard donut to different flavors of handmade cookies. And most recently, I’ve been in love with their sourdough egg tarts.



A East-meets-west creation combining the local egg tart with sourdough croissant, this was the perfect afternoon snack whether you have a meeting or not. I don’t know how the buttery, flaky shell compares to that from Queen Sophie’s in terms of number of layers (368 layers!?) but judging from the mouthfeel, I’m guessing it’s pretty close. In fact, I found Bakehouse’s egg tart far more fulfilling.



Apart from the thick yet flaky shell, there’s also the filling which my colleagues referred to as “crème brulee”, a comparison I found right-on-the-money. 



To sum it up, I would say, it tasted a bit like Portuguese egg tart from the first bite but they have traded the extra flakiness with a bit more crunch. That would be my assessment.



I'm definitely coming back for more (and the chocolate hazelnut doughnuts too).

Food Rating: 7/10
Price: $$$$
Address: G14 Tai Wong Street East, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Wanchai
Website: https://bakehouse.hk/


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think