Sunday, November 25, 2018

Lumi Borderless Cuisine (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

We were just going to have a simple meal at Pacific Place this afternoon but with places like Thai Basil, Kokomi and Peking Garden absolutely packed, I decided to treat everyone to something a little more exquisite.

Lumi Borderless Cuisine was one of those places that I've been keeping my radar screen open for since they were under renovation. I eventually checked them out on their second day of operation and came away pretty happy with the new Japanese-French establishment's borderless cuisine.



Seasonal legume jelly - As a solo diner, I wasn't able to check out this refreshing starter with Hokkaido sea urchin, onion purée and garden vegetable jelly. But second time's a charm!



This was a really good way to start the meal.



The elegant sweetness of the sea urchin worked really well with the subtle flavors of the jelly. Very refreshing start!



Shiitake mushroom fettuccine - I had to deduct marks from the service team because they knew it's for my little one. The fettuccine wasn't bad but it was pretty spicy with a fair amount of chili which wasn't mentioned anywhere on the menu. Should have at least given us a heads-up.



Lobster and parma ham risotto - Jelloman wanted something a little more healthy and she got her wish with this lobster and parma ham risotto. It came with ingredients like organic barley, Hokkaido soba seed, wild rice, onsen egg, mushrooms, blue cheese and parmesan. Pretty creamy and rich flavored without going over the top. Pretty nice.



Grilled sea bass - I had this when I was here last time. The sea bass was smoked with aromatic sakura wood while served with cherry tomato, pumpkin, avocado purée, cucumber, asparagus and green pea ravigote sauce. Even when I was having this for the second time, I was still amazed with how well the herby notes of the vegetables complemented the grilled sea bass fillet. 



Kobe beef mignon - I had high hopes for this dish because it's Kobe beef!



The charred crust was quite decent but the mignon was way too dry for me. I did enjoy the Japanese twist though, with the Sendai spicy miso sauce, garlic cream and burdock root chips all adding something extra to the dish.



The result was obviously not as rosy as my last outing. Could it be the fact that Japanese chef Kihachi Kumagai who helped design the menu, is no longer supervising the kitchen?





Food Rating: 5.5/10
Price: $$$
Address: Shop 301, 3/F, Pacific Place, 88 Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Admiralty
Tel: +852 2918-1313
Website: www.lumi.com.hk



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think