Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Peninsula Boutique (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

Call me old-fashioned but I always prefer to get my pastries over-the-counter so this is probably one of the few times that I'm doing this online. It was pretty convenient though. After placing my order a couple of days ago, here I am at Peninsula Boutique picking up some of my favorite pastries.



Sakura ($60) - I had this last time I was here too. This was an inspiration from the Japanese cherry blossom. A light and airy mousse cake which came with a mix of cherry blossom mousse, juicy cherry confit, pistachio dacquoise and tart sable. I thought the cherry flavors (from the mousse and confit) would be pretty overpowering but that's not the case at all. In fact, it was the exact opposite. The cherry blossom was light and subtle working well with the pistachio dacquoise and tart sable. Pretty nice.



Of course, I didn't go thru all the trouble for just a piece of cake so here comes the rest of my sweet treat.




Pandan ($60) - I saw this on a number of occasions but didn't quite pull the trigger coz I'm not a real fan of pandan. However, the combination of pandan and mango does look fairly intriguing.



This actually tasted a little better than I thought, with the acidity from the mango compote complementing the aromatic flavors of pandan very nicely. Definitely won't mind having it again.



Le Peninsula ($60) - The cake shop's signature pastry in its pageboy hat shape again didn't disappoint.



There's a very pleasant mix of contrasting flavors and textures coming from the yoghurt mousse, madeleine and pink grapefruit compote, all of which harmonized each other perfectly. Love the fact that they infused the pink grapefruit with jasmine tea to give a bit more fragrance. Without a question, the best of the three.



Food Rating: 6.5/10
Price: $$$$
Address: Shop 7-9, The Peninsula Hong Kong, 19-21 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 2920-2888
Website: www.peninsulaboutique.com/hk


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think