Saturday, August 7, 2021

Kopitiam Bagus.Bagus 捌哥.捌哥特色馬拉茶啡廳 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★★☆

I have said it many times here that two guys (in fact, two of my former bosses) had a hand in bringing Malaysian and Singaporean food to my life and I am forever grateful for that. I used to run away from spicy food when I was young but one of them introduced me to chili fish heads (cooked in a clay pot) on my first day at work. I still remembered that fateful lunch I was sweating like a pig (after drinking the soup) but I felt in love with spicy food and Singaporean (and Malaysian, I can’t tell) delicacies ever since.  
 
After moving back to Hong Kong, I still tried to experience Malaysian and Singaporean food from time to time although good Asian restaurants are far and few between in town (except Thai restaurants). But that didn’t stop me from trying. For years, I have been on a quest to find the jammiest kaya toast in the city. Last week, I finally found this article on Lifestyle Asia HK on the jammiest kaya toast in Hong Kong. Of course, my eyes lit up as soon as I saw close-up photos of one of my favorite Asian snacks.

Kopitiam Bagus.Bagus (捌哥.捌哥特色馬拉茶啡廳) - Malaysian Singaporean cafe Sham Shui Po best jammy kaya butter in Kowloon Hong Kong
 
Following our visit to Kedai Kopi Semua Semua (蘇媽.蘇媽馬來西亞茶餐室) last month, I thought it was about time I check another place out from the list – Kopitiam Bagus.Bagus (捌哥.捌哥特色馬拉茶啡廳) in Sham Shui Po.

Kopitiam Bagus.Bagus (捌哥.捌哥特色馬拉茶啡廳) - Malaysian Singaporean cafe Sham Shui Po best jammy kaya butter in Kowloon Hong Kong
 
This is pretty much the same décor as what we’ve seen from Kedai Kopi Semua Semua. Very traditional.

Kopitiam Bagus.Bagus (捌哥.捌哥特色馬拉茶啡廳) - Malaysian Singaporean cafe Sham Shui Po best jammy kaya butter in Kowloon Hong Kong
 
I have been on the road the whole day so needless to say, I needed a cold drink to cool myself off right about now. Yeah, iced Malay milk tea (or Teh Tarik).

Kopitiam Bagus.Bagus (捌哥.捌哥特色馬拉茶啡廳) - Malaysian Singaporean cafe Sham Shui Po best jammy kaya butter in Kowloon Hong Kong
 
I have never been a fan of strong milk tea so Teh Tarik was right up my alley. Silky smooth; the tea flavors were light and I think they used sweet and creamy condensed milk to make their pulled tea even smoother. Very nice.

Kopitiam Bagus.Bagus (捌哥.捌哥特色馬拉茶啡廳) - Malaysian Singaporean cafe Sham Shui Po Tek Tarik
 
Kaya Butter Toast – This was the reason I came here in the first place, their jammy kaya toast. It was very aromatic thanks to the pandan-infused, coconut flavored kaya jam. The toasts were very crisp although one might suggest that they could be a little thinner to better absorb the kaya and melted butter (but fine with me just the same it’s now).

Kopitiam Bagus.Bagus (捌哥.捌哥特色馬拉茶啡廳) - Malaysian Singaporean cafe Sham Shui Po best jammy kaya butter in Kowloon Hong Kong
 
Turnip Cake with Ikan Bilis sauce – I was hoping this would be something like Singaporean fried carrot cake with soy sauce (or Chai tow kway) but it’s not. As a matter of fact, it tasted more like Chinese turnip cake we have for dim sum except these cubes of turnip cake were topped with homemade sambal Ikan Bilis sauce (魚仔醬). Let me tell you, this was very spicy and it had nothing to do with the anchovy.

Kopitiam Bagus.Bagus (捌哥.捌哥特色馬拉茶啡廳) - Malaysian Singaporean cafe Sham Shui Po Turnip Cake with Ikan Bilis sauce

Just the jammy kaya butter toast alone was worth my 4-star rating!





Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 188 Yu Chau Street, Sham Shui Po, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Sham Shui Po
Tel: +852 2253-6911
Opening Hours: 11:00am - 10:00pm daily


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think