Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Butao Ramen Causeway Bay 豚王 (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

I haven't been able to visit ramen shops as much as I would like these days. Yes, we need to maintain distance between our dining neighbors and ramen shops are just bad places to be if you want to keep distance. But not anymore. Since Hong Kong government announced stricter rules on capacity of restaurants, space is no longer a problem.



It's almost 2:30pm. Another reason why most restaurants in Causeway Bay like Butao Ramen (豚王) are nearly empty. 



Butao's signature tonkotsu ramen, I haven't had one for months now.



I spent some extra cash on a soft-boiled egg, which was nicely done.



The grand daddy of Japanese ramen shops in Hong Kong, Butao's calling card has always been their super rich and creamy pork bone broth. I didn't realize that they have this special homemade chili sauce to go with their ramen but it was so good. Love the extra spicy kick.



I learned from last time and ordered the pork shoulder rather than belly this time around. Worked like a charm for me. The sheet of succulent pork had just the perfect texture (slightly chewy with a nice proportion of fat). That was so good.



It's been a while since I last visited Causeway Bay and I can honestly say this - it's "devastating". The situation is like 2003 SARS all over again. Lots of vacant retail space and empty restaurants and bars. Things are not looking good right now but I'm hoping for a rebound at the end of this year. Hongkongers and the rest of the world better buckle up, cuz it's likely a very rough ride ahead.




Food Rating: 6/10
Price: $$$
Address: G/F, 40 Tang Lung Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Causeway Bay
Tel: +852 3189-1200
Website: www.butaoramen.com
Opening Hours: 12:00pm - 10:00pm daily



Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think