Friday, June 29, 2018

Paul Lafayet (Hong Kong, CHINA) ★★★☆☆

When I looked back at some of my earlier posts this week, I couldn't help but realize that I have not visited a single Paul Lafayet boutique for almost 4 years now. That's a long time considering they used to be one of my go-to dessert spots many years ago. So, I decided to drop by one this afternoon right after work.



Earl grey cheesecake ($50) - Earl grey tea mousse sandwiched between a layer of cream cheese resting on a base made primarily with roasted hazelnut.



This was very light for a cheesecake. Neither the cheese nor the earl grey flavors stood out.



Praline mille-feuille ($50) - The lady at the boutique told me this was their best seller so I decided to get one too.

This looked almost like an opera cake at first glance but in reality, it's a mix of caramelized hazelnuts, cremeux Gianduja, praline feuilletine and praline cream. Pretty nutty as I have expected.



I don't know if it's a sign of my palate getting a little more sophisticated over the years but these desserts at Paul Lafayet that used to satisfy my sweet tooth in the past don't appear to do the job anymore.

Food Rating: 5/10
Price: $$$
Address: G23, G/F K11, 18 Hanoi Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Closest Metro Station: Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: +852 3586-9621
Website: www.paullafayet.com


Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think